North Caroline High School
|North Caroline High School|
"You Can't Hide that Bulldog Pride"
|School district||Caroline County Public Schools (Maryland)|
|Principal||Dr. Michael Smith|
|Color(s)||White and Blue|
|Yearbook||The North Carolinean|
|Website||North Caroline High School|
North Caroline High School is located in Ridgely, Maryland and is part of the Caroline County Public Schools (Maryland) system. The school serves approximately 1,200 students in grades nine to twelve. Students generally live in the northern area of Caroline County in Ridgely, Greensboro, Denton, and a number of smaller towns. Lockerman Middle School serves as the feeder school.
- Principal: Dr. Michael Smith.
- Assistant Principal: Ms. Nicole Fisher
- Assistant Principal: Mr. Rob Willoughby
Students are grouped into one of the following clusters based on their future career choices:
- Health and Human Services
- Business and Consumer Services
- Engineering and Manufacturing
- Environmental and Natural Resources
- Arts/Media and Communications
Within these clusters, students choose majors that dictate their course choices.
Students have the opportunity of simultaneously attending the Caroline Career and Technology Center located adjacent to the school building.
NCHS also offers a growing number of Advanced Placement courses, including Art, Biology, Calculus AB, English Language, English Literature, French Language, Government and Politics, Psychology, Spanish Language, and U.S. History.
Students at NCHS can participate in the following sports:
- Cross Country
- Field Hockey
- Golf (State Champions – 1997)
- Boys' Soccer
- Girls' Soccer
- Volleyball (State Champions – 1990)
- Boys' Basketball (State Champions – 1987)
- Girls' Basketball
- Indoor Track
- Baseball (State Champions – 1998, 2011)
- Softball (State Champions – 1988, 1991, 2001, 2003, 2005)
- Track and Field
NCHS sports teams participate in the Maryland 2A division, as based on their enrollment numbers.
In 1987, the Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletics Association awarded NCHS the Jack Willard Memorial Award during the boys' and girls' state basketball tournaments in recognition of their superior sportsmanship during the tournament.
Clubs and organizations
Students at NCHS can participate in the following clubs and organizations:
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- Future Business Leaders of America
- Palette and Brush Club
- Stock Market Club
- Mock Trial
- Chess Club
- Photography Club
- Night Court
- Teen Court
- Drama Club
- Intramural Volleyball Club
- Weight Lifting Club
- Engineering and Robotics Club
- Science Club
- National Honor Society
- Spanish Club
- Color Guard
- Student Government Association
- Service Learning Club
- Excel Program
- Future Educators Association
The student population consists of the following ethnicities:
31% of the students are eligible for the free or reduced-price lunch program.
- Charles T. Dean III (1996): elected delegate to 2004 Democratic National Convention, former member of State Central Committee, and youngest elected official in state history at 19 years old.
- Lacey Lister (2002): assistant coach of Salisbury University softball team, former player for National Pro Fast-Pitch Softball League with the Michigan Ice, and former standout pitcher and All-American for Salisbury University softball team.
- Kara Turner (2004): spokesperson for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources and alumna of Stetson University, independent actress.
- "Great Schools: North Caroline High School". GreatSchools Inc. Retrieved 2008-05-13.
- "North Caroline High School Principal". North Caroline High School. Retrieved 2008-05-13.
- "North Caroline High School Assistant Principal". North Caroline High School. Archived from the original on 2008-06-26. Retrieved 2008-05-12.
-  Archived September 25, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
-  Archived July 10, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- https://web.archive.org/20080303211119/http://cl.k12.md.us:80/NCHS/sports/sports.html. Archived from the original on March 3, 2008. Retrieved April 7, 2008. Missing or empty
- "School Enrollment" (PDF). Mpssaa.org. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
-  Archived March 3, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Maryland Democratic Party - National Convention Delegates". Msa.md.gov. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "Official Site of Salisbury University Athletics - Salisbury". Salisbury.edu. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "Kara Turner". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2013-11-05.