North City, San Diego
Coordinates: North City is a neighborhood in San Diego, California bordered by Solana Beach and Rancho Santa Fe to the north, Del Mar Heights to the west, and Carmel Valley to the south. I-5 forms the western boundary. The name is almost never used by local residents as the area is already included in either Rancho Santa Fe or Carmel Valley. The name is almost exclusively used by the San Diego Police Department for zoning.
Native American Kumeyaay history within the area has been documented to 7,000 years ago, and was home to a Kumeyaay village (Ahwel-Awa) west of El Camino Real near the San Dieguito River at the time of European contact with the Spanish. The Portolá expedition in 1769, described it as "a large village... and many well built houses with grass roofs". The village came under various names during Spanish rule, such as San Jacome De la Marca, La Poza de Ozuna, or most commonly known as San Dieguito (name for the region).
Under Mexican administration, the Kumeyaay village was removed to be land granted to Mexican settlers. The village was previously planned to be converted into the San Dieguito pueblo as a village dedicated to the Kumeyaay by Alta California governor Jose Figueroa, but never materialized after his assassination.
After the Mexican-American war, the area has been largely used for agricultural and equestrian uses, which was a large producer of strawberries.
In the 1993, the City of San Diego designated the area as "NCFUA Subarea-II" as part of the larger North City Future Urbanizing Area plan which also included what is now Pacific Highlands Ranch, Torrey Highlands, and Black Mountain Ranch. The area has remained under 'Future Urbanizing' status due to the lack of development potential.
In the 2000's the strawberry farmlands were converted to preservation land with efforts for environmental restoration as part of the San Dieguito River Park. Several homes and a couple of churches have been constructed since then.
- "City of San Diego Police Neighborhoods 11/16/2013" (PDF).
- "San Marcos Farmers Market opens Tuesday in North City". San Diego Union-Tribune. 2020-06-29. Retrieved 2020-06-30.
- "Kumeyaay Sense of the Land and Landscape". Viejas Band of Kumeyaay Indians. Retrieved 2020-09-12.
- Carrico, Richard L. (1977-07-01). "Portola's 1769 Expedition and Coastal Native Villages of San Diego County". The Journal of California Anthropology. 4 (1).
- "History". www.sanpasqualbandofmissionindians.org. Retrieved 2020-09-12.
- North City Future Urbanizing Area Framework Plan. https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/legacy//planning/community/profiles/ncfua/pdf/nfcu_final_102314.pdf