North Delta Secondary School
|North Delta Secondary|
High is our Honour, Proud is our Name
|11447 82 Avenue
Delta, British Columbia, V4C 5J6
|School type||Public, high school|
|Enrollment||1200 (September 16, 2008)|
|Team name||ND Huskies|
|Last updated: September 16, 2006|
North Delta Secondary School, when it was opened in 1957, was originally a secondary school designed to accommodate approximately 550 students. At that time it was the second secondary school in Delta and eliminated the need for students in the north of Delta to walk south to Delta Senior Secondary in Ladner. It housed grade 8 to grade 12 students and continued to be a five-grade secondary school until 1975. In the early 1970s, due to new construction and population increases in the community, Burnsview Junior Secondary and Sands Junior Secondary joined Delview Junior Secondary as the three feeder schools to North Delta. Until the opening of Seaquam Secondary School in the Sunshine Hills area in 1977, all senior secondary students in the North Delta area were graduates of North Delta Secondary School.
In October 2003, after two years of major construction and renovation, NDSS had a ribbon-cutting ceremony that officially opened the new North Delta Secondary School. North Delta Secondary School is now capable of carrying an enrollment of 1350 students.
The 2004-2005 school year marked the last year of North Delta Senior Secondary. Starting with the 2005-2006 school year, the school became known as North Delta Secondary, with the addition of grade 10s. This was followed with the subsequent addition of grade 8 and 9s in the following year.
- Docc Andrews - DJ/Radio Host at CJJR-FM
- Mitch Berger - American football punter
- Ian Boothby - Comedian, writer for The Simpsons comic book and CBC Radio's The Irrelevant Show
- Troy Brouwer - Professional hockey player and Stanley Cup winner, currently plays for the Calgary Flames of the NHL
- Charlotte Diamond - Juno Award winning children's singer
- Jeff Francis - Former Major league pitcher, most recently play for the Toronto Blue Jays of the MLB
- Davis Sanchez - Professional Football Player for the BC Lions of the CFL
- Paul Steele - Canadian rower, who was a member of the Canadian men's eights team that won the gold medal at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles, California.
- Kyle O'Reilly - Two time Ring Of Honor Wrestling tag team champion and ECCW pacific cup winner.
- Chris Crippin - Drummer for the Juno award winning band, Hedley
- Bruce "McCallum" Hanna - Decorated Retired Major USAF Intelligence Officer (23yrs), military tours in Bosnia, 3 x Iraq, 3 x Afghanistan