North Devon District Hospital
|North Devon District Hospital|
|Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust|
A Vanguard Mobile Theatre at North Devon District Hospital
|Location||Barnstaple, Devon, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Hospital type||District General|
|Emergency department||Yes Accident & Emergency|
|Founded||23 November 1979|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
The hospital has its origins in the North Devon Infirmary established in Litchdon Street in 1824. Services were transferred to the present facility which occupies the site of the historic manor house of Raleigh, in the former parish of Pilton, seat of the locally influential Chichester family. The building of the hospital was promoted by Jeremy Thorpe when he was MP for Devon North and it opened at its present location in 1979.
- "North Devon Infirmary, Barnstaple". National Archives. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- Christie, Peter. "The Heritage Album: 175 years in North Devon (1824-1999)". North Devon Journal. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- "Raleigh". The Pilton Story. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- "Jeremy Thorpe's North Devon legacy". North Devon Gazette. 11 December 2014. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- "Overview". Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust. Retrieved 23 November 2018.