This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2019)
North Dorset District
North Dorset shown within Dorset
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Region||South West England|
|Admin HQ||Blandford Forum|
|Incorporated||1 April 1974 to 31 March 2019|
|• Type||Non-metropolitan district council|
|• Body||North Dorset District Council|
|• Leadership||Leader and Cabinet (Conservative)|
|• MPs||Simon Hoare|
|• Total||235.2 sq mi (609.2 km2)|
|Area rank||(of 309)|
|• Density||300/sq mi (120/km2)|
|• Ethnicity||98.6% White|
|Time zone||UTC0 (GMT)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+1 (BST)|
|ONS code||19UE (ONS)|
|OS grid reference|
North Dorset was a local government district in Dorset, England. It was largely rural, but included the towns of Blandford Forum, Gillingham, Shaftesbury, Stalbridge and Sturminster Newton. Much of North Dorset was in the River Stour valley and is called the Blackmore Vale. The economy of North Dorset was largely dairy agriculture based.
The district was formed on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, from the municipal boroughs of Blandford Forum, Shaftesbury, Blandford Rural District, Shaftesbury Rural District and Sturminster Rural District. The district and its council were abolished on 1 April 2019 and, together with the other 4 districts outside the greater Bournemouth area, incorporated into a Dorset unitary authority.
North Dorset was home to North Dorset Rugby Football Club.
- Towns with a population over 2,500 are in bold.
- Anderson, Ashmore
- Belchalwell, Blandford Forum, Bourton, Bryanston, Buckhorn Weston
- Cann, Charlton Marshall, Chettle, Child Okeford, Compton Abbas
- East Orchard, East Stour
- Farnham, Fifehead Magdalen, Fifehead Neville, Fontmell Magna
- Gillingham, Glanvilles Wootton
- Hammoon, Hazelbury Bryan, Hilton, Hinton St Mary
- Ibberton, Iwerne Courtney, Iwerne Minster
- Kington Magna
- Langton Long Blandford, Lydlinch
- Manston, Mappowder, Margaret Marsh, Marnhull, Melbury Abbas, Milborne St Andrew, Milton Abbas, Motcombe
- Okeford Fitzpaine
- Pimperne, Pulham
- Shaftesbury, Shillingstone, Silton, Spetisbury, Stalbridge, Stoke Wake, Stourpaine, Stour Provost, Stourton Caundle, Stour Row, Sturminster Newton, Sutton Waldron
- Tarrant Crawford, Tarrant Gunville, Tarrant Hinton, Tarrant Keyneston, Tarrant Launceston, Tarrant Monkton, Tarrant Rawston, Tarrant Rushton, Todber, Turnworth
- West Orchard, West Stour, Winterborne Clenston, Winterborne Houghton, Winterborne Kingston, Winterborne Stickland, Winterborne Whitechurch, Winterborne Zelston, Woolland
- Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (25 May 2018). "The Bournemouth, Dorset and Poole (Structural Changes) Order 2018". legislation.gov.uk. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to North Dorset.|