North East Combined Authority
North East Combined Authority
North East Combined Authority within England
|Founded||15 April 2014|
|North East Joint Transport Committee|
|15 April 2014|
|Quadrant, Cobalt Business Park|
The North East Combined Authority is a combined authority that covers part of the North East region of England. It was established by statutory instrument under the Local Democracy, Economic Development and Construction Act 2009 on 15 April 2014. It is a strategic authority with powers over transport, economic development and regeneration. At its first meeting on 15 April 2014, Simon Henig, Leader of Durham County Council, was elected as its chair. The functions, property, rights and liabilities of the former Tyne and Wear Integrated Transport Authority were inherited by the North East Combined Authority, forming an executive body within the new authority as the Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Executive.
It was announced in October 2015 that the Authority would receive an enhanced devolution settlement and elect a Mayor in 2017. The plans were later cancelled by the Communities and Local Government Secretary Sajid Javid on 8 September 2016, after Durham, Gateshead, South Tyneside, and Sunderland Councils withdrew their support. The current non-mayoral combined authority arrangements will continue.
In November 2018, Newcastle City Council, North Tyneside Borough Council, and Northumberland County Council left the North East Combined Authority and formed the new North of Tyne Combined Authority. For transport policy the two combined authorities come together to form the North East Joint Transport Committee.
In order to create a combined authority, the local authorities in the proposed area must undertake a governance review and produce a scheme of their proposals.
The order which established the combined authority referred to it as the Durham, Gateshead, Newcastle Upon Tyne, North Tyneside, Northumberland, South Tyneside and Sunderland Combined Authority, simply listing the names of the constituent councils in alphabetical order. The initial consultation used the name Durham, Northumberland and Tyne and Wear Combined Authority. The body uses the name North East Combined Authority or NECA, and for marketing purposes has adopted the brand north east combined authority, neca (all lower case). The board is known as the North East Leadership Board. The legal name of the authority was changed to Durham, Gateshead, South Tyneside and Sunderland Combined Authority in November 2018.
The membership of the combined authority is as follows:
|Name||Membership||Position within nominating authority||Nominating authority||Position within combined authority|
|Paul Watson||Constituent||Leader of the Council||Sunderland City Council||Chair|
|Martin Gannon||Constituent||Leader of the Council||Gateshead Metropolitan Borough Council|
|Iain Malcolm||Constituent||Leader of the Council||South Tyneside Metropolitan Borough Council|
|Simon Hening||Constituent||Leader of the Council||Durham County Council|
|Paul Woolston||Non-constituent||Chair||North East Local Enterprise Partnership|
The Combined Authority consists of the following authorities (2017 population estimates):
|Authority||Type||No. on Map||Population||Area (km²)||Pop. Density (per km²)|
|South Tyneside||Metropolitan borough||2(d)||149,600||64.39||2,322|
- "North East Combined Authority". North East Combined Authority. Retrieved 12 December 2015.
- "The Durham, Gateshead, Newcastle Upon Tyne, North Tyneside, Northumberland, South Tyneside and Sunderland Combined Authority Order 2014". The National Archives. 3 July 2015. Retrieved 12 December 2015.
- "Community News in Brief Tuesday April 15". Evening Chronicle. Newcastle upon Tyne: Trinity Mirror. 15 April 2014. Retrieved 12 December 2015.
- "Elected mayors for north-east of England as devolution deal announced". BBC News. 23 October 2015. Retrieved 31 December 2018.
- "Sajid Javid ends North East devolution deal". BBC News. 5 August 2016. Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- "The Newcastle Upon Tyne, North Tyneside and Northumberland Combined Authority (Establishment and Functions) Order 2018". www.legislation.gov.uk.
- "The North East Joint Transport Committee". North East Combined Authority.
- "Proposal to establish a combined authority for Durham, Northumberland and Tyne and Wear - Consultations". GOV.UK. Retrieved 12 December 2015.
- "NECA website: Who are we?". Northeastca.gov.uk. Retrieved 2016-08-10.
- "North East Leadership Board Members | North East Combined Authority". North East Combined Authority. Retrieved 12 December 2015.