North East Hampshire (UK Parliament constituency)
|North East Hampshire|
for the House of Commons
|Electorate||72,548 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Fleet, Church Crookham, Hook and Yateley|
|Member of Parliament||Ranil Jayawardena (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||East Hampshire, Aldershot|
The constituency was created in 1997 from parts of the seats of Aldershot and East Hampshire. It was represented at Westminster by James Arbuthnot until 2015 when he was succeeded by Ranil Jayawardena. The constituency has, since its creation, given large majorities to the Conservatives, and in 2015, Jayawardena was elected with a lead of 29,916 votes, or 55.4%. This made North East Hampshire the safest Conservative seat at that election in both percentage and numerical terms.
1997–2010: The District of Hart wards of Church Crookham, Crondall, Eversley, Fleet Courtmoor, Fleet Pondtail, Fleet West, Hartley Wintney, Hook, Long Sutton, Odiham, and Whitewater, and the District of East Hampshire wards of Binsted, Bramshott and Liphook, Froyle and Bentley, Grayshott, Headley, Selborne, Whitehill Bordon and Whitehill, and Whitehill Lindford.
2010–present: The District of Hart wards of Church Crookham East, Church Crookham West, Crondall, Eversley, Fleet Central, Fleet Courtmoor, Fleet North, Fleet Pondtail, Fleet West, Greywell, Hartley Wintney, Hook, Long Sutton, Odiham, Yateley East, Yateley North, and Yateley West, and the Borough of Basingstoke and Deane wards of Calleva, Pamber, Sherborne St John, and Upton Grey and The Candovers.
This constituency was slightly altered for the 2010 general election - the seat's southernmost part was transferred to East Hampshire while it gained some wards from Basingstoke and Hart wards from Aldershot.
The seat includes significant software, hardware and military sectors and a significant proportion of Basingstoke, Bracknell and City of London commuters, particularly the latter towards Hook railway station on the South West Main Line; the average income level is higher than the national average. This area also has low unemployment and a high proportion of semi-detached and detached properties.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrats||Ian Mann||11,619||22.7|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrats||Michael Plummer||10,122||23.0||0.3|
|Liberal Democrats||Adam Carew||12,858||27.2||4.2|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrats||Denzil Coulson||13,478||25.5||1.6|
|Liberal Democrats||Graham Cockarill||5,657||10.5||15.0|
|Monster Raving Loony||Mad Max Bobetsky||384||0.7||New|
1: After nominations were closed, Blay was suspended from UKIP after threatening to shoot his Conservative opponent. His name still appeared on ballot papers as it was too late to remove him.
|Liberal Democrats||Graham Cockarill||6,987||12.1||1.6|
|Liberal Democrats||Graham Cockarill||15,069||25.4||13.3|
|Monster Raving Loony||Howling Laud Hope||576||1.0||New|
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Williams, Zoe (1 June 2017). "In the country's safest Tory seat, prosperity seeks a steady hand | Zoe Williams". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- "2001 Census". Neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- "2011 census interactive maps". Ons.gov.uk. Archived from the original on 2016-01-29. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "H" (part 1)
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "UKIP candidate Robert Blay suspended over shooting threat". BBC News. 5 May 2015.
- Rawlinson, Kevin (5 May 2015). "Ukip candidate suspended for threatening to 'put a bullet in' Tory rival". The Guardian.
- Myers, Russell; Sorrell, Lee (5 May 2015). "Robert Blay: UKIP suspends parliamentary candidate". Daily Mirror.
- "Loony Party Candidates". Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- "North Hampshire general election candidates". Basingstoke Observer. 12 May 2017. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- "Hart Council Statement of Persons Nominated". Retrieved 20 November 2019.
- Election result, 2005 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (Election Demon)
- Election results, 1997 - 2005 (Guardian)