North East Hertfordshire (UK Parliament constituency)
|North East Hertfordshire|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of North East Hertfordshire in Hertfordshire
Location of Hertfordshire within England
|Electorate||72,658 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Letchworth, Baldock and Royston|
|Member of Parliament||Oliver Heald (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Hertfordshire North, Hertford and Stortford, Stevenage|
The constituency includes the towns of Letchworth, Baldock and Royston and the undulating rural area, strewn with traditional English villages primarily to their south, most of which are within the more accessible parts of the London Commuter Belt and west of London Stansted Airport.
The constituency was created in for the 1997 general election largely from parts of the abolished County Constituency of North Hertfordshire, including Letchworth, Baldock and Royston. It also included rural areas of the District of East Hertfordshire transferred from the constituencies of Hertford and Stortford and Stevenage.
It has had the same member serving it in Westminster.
1997–2010: The District of North Hertfordshire wards of Arbury, Baldock, Grange, Letchworth East, Letchworth South East, Letchworth South West, Newsells, Royston East, Royston West, Sandon, Weston, and Wilbury, and the District of East Hertfordshire wards of Braughing, Buntingford, Cottered, Little Hadham, Munden, Standon St Mary, Stapleford, Tewin, Thundridge, and Watton-at-Stone.
2010–present: The District of North Hertfordshire wards of Arbury, Baldock East, Baldock Town, Ermine, Letchworth East, Letchworth Grange, Letchworth South East, Letchworth South West, Letchworth Wilbury, Royston Heath, Royston Meridian, Royston Palace, and Weston and Sandon, and the District of East Hertfordshire wards of Braughing, Buntingford, Hertford Rural North, Hertford Rural South, Little Hadham, Mundens and Cottered, Puckeridge, Thundridge and Standon, Walkern, and Watton-at-Stone.
Minor changes due to revision of local authority wards.
Members of Parliament
|1997||Sir Oliver Heald||Conservative|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrats||Amy Finch||8,563||15.5||+7.8|
|Liberal Democrats||Nicky Shepard||4,276||7.7||0.1|
|Liberal Democrats||Joe Jordan||3,952||7.6||−15.8|
|Liberal Democrats||Hugh Annand||11,801||23.4||+2.0|
|Your Right To Democracy Party Limited||David Ralph||143||0.3||+0.3|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrats||Iain Coleman||10,147||21.4||+4.2|
|Liberal Democrats||Alison Kingman||7,686||17.2||−1.0|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrats||Stephen Jarvis||9,493||18.2||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Ordnance survey website
- "The Parliamentary Constituencies (England) Order 1995". www.legislation.gov.uk. Retrieved 2019-02-25.
- "The Parliamentary Constituencies (England) Order 2007". www.legislation.gov.uk. Retrieved 2019-02-25.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "H" (part 3)
- "Hertfordshire North East Parliamentary constituency". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 19 November 2019.
- "Election Results 2017". 9 June 2017. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "North East Hertfordshire - Telegraph". www.telegraph.co.uk.
- Dickinson, Eleanor (26 January 2015). "UKIP candidate chosen to take on Royston MP Sir Oliver Heald in the 2015 general election". Cambridge News. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- "Eastern Region Green Party | Green Party Selects its General Election candidates for seats in the North Herts". eastern.greenparty.org.uk.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.