North European Aerospace Test range
North European Aerospace Test range (NEAT) is Europe's largest overland test range for aerospace systems.
Its aim is to provide facilities and services for safe aerospace testing in one of the few parts of Europe which has very low population and almost no air-traffic.
The total size of NEAT is 24,000 km2, and the one-way length is 350 km.
NEAT has two permanently restricted airspace areas.
- R01 covers Esrange Space Center and is 6,600 km2, GND/UNL altitude.
- R02 covers Vidsel Test Range and is 7,200 km2, GND/UNL altitude.
There is also four additional restricted airspace areas over the bridging area that are only used when needed.
- Over the west part, GND/3500 MSL
- Over the west part, 3500 MSL/FL200[notes 1]
- Over the whole area, 3500 MSL/FL330 in the west part and FL200/FL330 in the east part.[notes 2]
- Over the whole area, FL470/UNL
Suspended and restricted ground space
- Esrange Rocket Impact Area is 5,200 km2.
- Vidsel Test Range is 3,300 km2.
- A.k.a. "Tunnel in the sky"
- Overflying the town of Kiruna
- Press release Swedish Defence Material Administration and SSC in major joint investment in Vidsel Test Range, 2006-11-13