North Filton Platform railway station
|North Filton Platform|
|Original company||Great Western Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|9 May 1910||Opened as Filton Halt|
|22 March 1915||Closed|
|1926||Reopened as North Filton Platform|
|23 November 1964||Regular public services ceased|
|12 May 1986||Complete closure|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
North Filton Platform was a railway station which served the northern part of Filton, Gloucestershire, England. It was on the railway line between Filton and Avonmouth, and was situated on the western side of Gloucester Road (the present A38).
The railway line between Stoke Gifford Junction and Holesmouth Junction (Avonmouth), now known as the Henbury Loop Line, was opened by the Great Western Railway (GWR) on 9 May 1910, together with the Filton West Loop (Filton Junction to Filton West Junction). Among the stations on that line which opened the same day was one originally known as Filton Halt. It closed less than five years later, on 22 March 1915.
Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways (FOSBR) and other local rail campaign groups support the reopening of the line to passengers, as well as the stations at North Filton and Henbury. FOSBR suggest this would help services along the Severn Beach Line, allowing a Bristol Temple Meads-Avonmouth-Bristol Parkway service, and also provide services to the north of Bristol generally, the Cribbs Causeway shopping centre, and the redevelopment at Filton Aerodrome. FOSBR say that local councils have committed to a feasibility study into reopening the line. In December 2011 a South Gloucestershire Council planning committee recommended that the station, along with Henbury station, be re-opened for passenger services.
- British Railway Atlas 1955. Britain's Railways. Shepperton: Ian Allan. November 2000. p. 8, section C2. ISBN 0-7110-2726-9. 0011/C2.
- MacDermot, E.T. (1931). History of the Great Western Railway, vol. II: 1863-1921. Paddington: Great Western Railway. pp. 449, 612.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 96. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- Butt 1995, pp. 96,173
- Nock, O.S. (1967). History of the Great Western Railway, vol. 3: 1923-1947. Shepperton: Ian Allan. p. 248. ISBN 0-7110-0304-1.
- Butt 1995, p. 173
- Private and Untimetabled Railway stations by G.Croughton and others
- "Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways making rail difference". This is Bristol. Northcliffe Media. 25 September 2010. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- "Council leader's claim is a distortion of the facts". This is Bristol. Northcliffe Media. 29 July 2011. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- Leslie, Charlotte MP (10 November 2008). "Unite to fight the sale of Henbury train station". This is Bristol. Northcliffe Media. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Bristol Evening Post (28 March 2012). "Campaigners raise questions over Henbury rail route". This is Bristol. Northcliffe Media. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- "Our Case". Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- "Planners back Filton Airfield's closure". BBC News. 5 December 2011. Retrieved 6 December 2011.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
Line closed, station open
|Great Western Railway
Henbury Loop Line
Line and station closed
Line and station closed