North Fork Middle Fork Willamette River
|North Fork Middle Fork Willamette River|
|- location||Cascade Range|
|Mouth||Middle Fork Willamette River|
|1,033 ft (315 m)|
|Type||Wild, Scenic, Recreational|
|Designated||October 28, 1988|
The North Fork Middle Fork Willamette River as it is officially named but frequently called North Fork of the Willamette River or North Fork of the Middle Fork of the Willamette River has its headwaters at Waldo Lake and flows into the Middle Fork Willamette River northwest of Oakridge. In the first 3 miles (5 km) below Waldo Lake, the river drops 2,400 feet (730 m) in 34 separate waterfalls through diverse natural plant life and old growth forest.
The river has Oregon's longest covered bridge crossing it at Westfir, the Office Bridge. Portions of the river were designated wild and scenic in 1988. The portion from Waldo Lake to 1 mile (1.6 km) upstream from Westfir is designated scenic by the State of Oregon and is known for its native trout by fly fishermen.
The river above Westfir is rated as class 3-4 (5) whitewater. Recommended flow range is 500 to 3,000 cubic feet per second (14 to 85 m3/s).
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: North Fork Middle Fork Willamette River
- "Area Attractions". Oakridge Chamber of Commerce. Archived from the original on 2007-07-02. Retrieved 2007-06-07.
- "North Fork of the Middle Fork Willamette River (Office) Covered Bridge". Oregon Covered Bridges. Archived from the original on 2007-10-24. Retrieved 2007-06-07.
- Willamette National Forest. 1995. Watershed Analysis: North Fork of the Middle Fork Willamette River. Oakridge Ranger District, Oakridge, OR.
- Nancy Graybeal, Deputy Regional Forester (December 4, 2000). "Boundary Establishment for North Fork of the Middle Fork of the Willamette National Wild and Scenic River, Willamette National Forest, Lane County, OR". United States Environmental Protection Agency. Retrieved 2007-06-07.
- "Removal-Fill in State Scenic Waterways". Oregon.gov. Retrieved 2007-06-07.
- "The Gorge to Westfir on the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the Willamette River". WetDawg.com. Retrieved 2007-06-07.
- Media related to North Fork Middle Fork Willamette River at Wikimedia Commons
- Reactive map of Middle Fork Willamette watershed (hold mouse just north of Westfir to see lower watershed)
|This Lane County, Oregon state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a river in Oregon is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|