North Hatley, Quebec
Location within Memphrémagog RCM.
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||October 25, 1897|
|Named for||Hatley, Cambridgeshire|
|• Mayor||Michael Page|
|• Federal riding||Compton—Stanstead|
|• Prov. riding||Orford|
|• Total||4.60 km2 (1.78 sq mi)|
|• Land||3.34 km2 (1.29 sq mi)|
|• Density||195.9/km2 (507/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||9.4%|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−4)|
|Postal code(s)||J0B 2C0|
North Hatley is a village of 750 people, located at the north end of Lake Massawippi. It is part of the Memphrémagog Regional County Municipality in the Eastern Townships region of Quebec, also known as Estrie or Cantons de l'Est in French.
Locals usually have to drive to the nearby towns of Magog or Sherbrooke to find big-city amenities, although there are smaller stores and cafés in the town which are open year round. Those include Saveurs & Gourmandises (a bakery and pastry shop), Emporium (antiques), The Pomegranate (antiques) LeBaron's Store (food market and gift shop) and The Pilsen Pub, Accommodation Massawippi (grocery store) among others. It is also home to many artists and craftspeople, including Naisi LeBaron known locally for her "art naive" paintings of village life in North Hatley and environs, as well as local graphic artist Mellanie Beauchamp.
North Hatley was the setting for the 2003 film Hatley High. Some of its landmarks, including the North Hatley sign, can be seen throughout the movie. However, the bulk of the movie was filmed in Hudson.
Many of the first settlers around North Hatley were United Empire Loyalists, mostly farmers, who left New England in the years following the American Declaration of Independence in 1776. The village owes most of its great houses and particular architecture to its first aristocrats, and mostly Americans from south of the Mason-Dixon Line.
- Reference number 142203 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (French)
- Geographic code 45050 in the official Répertoire des municipalités (French)
- Parliament of Canada Federal Riding History: COMPTON--STANSTEAD (Quebec)
- "(Code 2445050) Census Profile". 2011 census. Statistics Canada. 2012.
- Google News, The Stanstead Journal, September 13, 2003
- WorldWeb.com, North Hatley Travel Guide
- Susan Stromberg-Stein, Louis Dudek: A Biographical Introduction to his Poetry, 131.
|Lake Massawippi||Hatley (township)|