North High School (North St. Paul, Minnesota)
|North High School|
North High School from the northeast
|2416 11th Avenue East
North Saint Paul, MN 55109
|Color(s)||Red and White|
North High School is a public 9-12 high school located in North Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States. It is one of two high schools in the ISD 622 District. The other high school in ISD 622 is Tartan Senior High School in Oakdale, Minnesota.
Founded in 1905, North High School has been forced to rebuild on five different occasions due to growing enrollment. In 2005 North High celebrated its centennial.
A new school building was constructed with the school planned to stand four floors high. This however was cut to three to stay within the budget. The school was also encased in bricks halfway up the exterior of the building, also as to not exceed the budget.
The school is located in North St. Paul, just on the other side of Minnesota State Highway 36 outside downtown North St. Paul. The school has a second campus due to the set back in construction of the new building that is located inside of the School District 622 Education Building which is located at the east end of the school's parking lot. The school is on the North side of Highway 36, but can no longer be seen from Highway 36; renovations on Highway 36 in 2008 bypass North Saint Paul.
North High offers various extracurricular activities. They have athletic options such as volleyball, football, boys' and girls' soccer, boys' and girls' basketball, boys' and girls' cross country, boys' and girls' track, boys' and girls' swim and dive, boys' and girls' tennis, wrestling, baseball, boy's and girls' lacrosse, softball, boys' and girls' bowling, and boys' and girls' hockey. The boys' soccer team won the State Championship in 2013. The volleyball program has also had success making it to the section finals two years in a row.
Its music program offers a competitive show choir which is often called the Northern Lights Show Choir, as well as other choirs and a Symphonic Band. They also offer a world drumming class and a guitar class.
In addition to athletics, North also offers a variety of clubs and organizations such as JROTC, DECA, BPA, anime club, chess club, scuba club, National Honor Society, Student Council, rocket club, stargazers, robotics, math team, FCA, yearbook, Relay for Life, drama, debate team, ASL club, polar prints, knowledge bowl, FEA, Link Crew, Model UN, CARE, Pay it Forward, Science Olympiad, Prom, Golden Prom, Dicken's club, and indoor drumline called the Fusion Drumline which is combined with Tartan High School as well as the middle schools of the district. North High's DECA program has been the number one chapter in the state for the past few years. DECA is a business class that is offered to students who strive to be in a career involving business. These students then run the school store during lunch and before and after school. DECA students also participate in district and state competitions, competing in events like advertising campaigns, role plays, written business plans, and sales demonstrations.
On Friday June 1, 2012, someone released smoke bombs on the last day of school which resulted in the evacuation of the entire school for approximately 90 minutes. Five students were treated by medics and none were taken to the hospital.
The ISD 622 District is facing an $8 million in budget reductions for the 2015-2016 school year.
- Farrell Dobbs (1925) Trade unionist, politician, historian
- Bret Hedican (1988) Professional hockey player, husband of figure skater Kristi Yamaguchi
- Nate Richert (1996) Actor (Harvey on Sabrina the Teenage Witch), musician
- Teresa Burks (1996) Radio City Rockette 
- Clark Shaughnessy, College Football Hall of Fame coach
- Ira Dean (1987) Bass player and gold record recording artist with the band Trick Pony
- Jim O'Brien (ice hockey) NHL player for the Ottawa Senators
- Troy G. Ward (1980) Professional hockey coach: Pittsburgh Penguins, Houston Aeros, Abbotsford Heat
- Kip Sundgaard (1974) Olympic Ski Jumper
-  Newsweek
- College in the Schools - Participating Schools University of Minnesota
- "Smoke bombs cloud North High seniors' last day". lillienews.com. Retrieved 2015-08-05.
- "District 622 must cut budget by $8 million | Lillie Suburban Newspapers - LillieNews.com". www.lillienews.com. Retrieved 2015-08-05.
- Secrets of a Radio City Rockette