North Holland Blue
|Country of origin||Netherlands|
|PCGB||rare soft feather: heavy|
The North Holland Blue, Dutch: Noord-Hollandse Blauwe or Noord-Hollandse Hoen, is a Dutch breed of domestic chicken originating in the province of North Holland. It is a heavy meat breed, and was created to supply the high demand for white chicken meat from the city of Amsterdam, particularly from the Jewish community in that city.
The North Holland Blue was created in the area around Purmerend in about 1900 to supply the city of Amsterdam with white chicken-meat. It derives from the Belgian Malines. Malines birds had been imported for the purpose but did not do well in the poor conditions of North Holland. They were therefore crossed with local chickens.
A breed standard was agreed in 1934 by the Noord-Hollandse Blauwenclub van Nederland, a breeders' association, and in 1950 was adopted with minor changes by the Nederlandse Hoender en Dwerghoender Bond, the national association of poultry breeders.
In the years after the Second World War the North Holland Blue was supplanted as a commercial meat breed by faster-growing imported American breeds. The last large North Holland Blue farm closed in 1977.
The North Holland Blue has only one colour, Cuckoo. It has a quiet, docile temperament, and lays 180–240 eggs per year. In the Netherlands and New Zealand it is clean-legged; British breed standards call for lightly feathered legs.
- NHDB standaard: Noord-Hollandse hoenders (in Dutch). Assendelfter en Noord-Hollandse Blauwen Club. Accessed August 2014.
- NHDB standaard: Noord-Hollandse krielen (in Dutch). Assendelfter en Noord-Hollandse Blauwen Club. Accessed August 2014.
- Breed Classification. Poultry Club of Great Britain. Accessed August 2014.
- Noordhollandse Blauwe of Noord-Hollandse Hoender (in Dutch). Stichting Zeldzame Huisdierrassen (Dutch Rare Breeds Survival Trust). Accessed August 2014.
- Noord-Hollandse Hoenders (in Dutch). Nederlandse Hoender en Dwerghoenderbond. Archived 28 August 2013.
- Noord-Hollandse Hoenders: Geschiedenis van het ras (in Dutch). Assendelfter en Noord-Hollandse Blauwen Club. Accessed August 2014.
- Liste des races et variétés homologuée dans les pays EE (28.04.2013). Entente Européenne d’Aviculture et de Cuniculture. Archived 16 June 2013.
- Chris Graham (2006). Choosing and Keeping Chickens. London: Hamlyn. ISBN 9780600614388. p. 165.
|This poultry article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|