North Hoyle Offshore Wind Farm
|North Hoyle Offshore Wind Farm|
Viewed from the air
Location of North Hoyle Offshore Wind Farm off the coast of Wales
|Location||Liverpool Bay, north east Wales|
|Site area||10 km2 (3.9 sq mi)|
|Distance from shore||7.5 km (4.7 mi)|
|Units operational||30 x 2 MW|
|Make and model||Vestas: V80 Offshore Wind Turbine|
|Nameplate capacity||60 MW|
The first of the UK's Round 1 offshore wind farms, North Hoyle covers an area of 10 square kilometres (3.9 sq mi), and is located approximately 7.5 kilometres (4.7 mi) off the coast of North Wales, between the towns of Rhyl and Prestatyn. The Round 1 projects were intended to act as testbeds; building the UK's understanding of offshore wind power, whilst in total also providing well over 1,000 MW of green generating capacity for the UK. All of the Round 1 offshore wind farms were limited to a maximum area of 10 square kilometres (3.9 sq mi), and no more than 30 wind turbines.
The wind farm's 30 Vestas V80 Offshore wind turbines are each rated at 2 MW capacity, giving a maximum project output of 60 MW. At the time of installation this was the most powerful wind farm in the UK, producing sufficient electricity annually to power 50,000 homes. Between 2004 and 2010, the capacity factor was between 33 and 36%.
Independent surveys carried out for the operators of North Hoyle have shown that the wind farm is very popular among holidaymakers and local residents. An opinion poll carried out in 2003, after one year of operation, showed that 73% of people expressed support for the project and only 5% opposed it.
- List of offshore wind farms in the United Kingdom
- List of offshore wind farms in the Irish Sea
- Wind power in the United Kingdom
- "LORC Knowledge - Datasheet for North Hoyle Offshore Wind Farm". LORC Knowledge. 2011-03-14. Retrieved 2011-06-20.
- Dunford et al. UK Renewable Energy Data, Issue 10 p43 Renewable Energy Foundation, 29 July 2010. Accessed: 30 September 2011.
- "npower renewables - North Hoyle press release". Archived from the original on March 1, 2007. Retrieved 21 June 2007.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to North Hoyle Offshore Wind Farm.|
- North Hoyle, RWE Innogy