North Korea International Documentation Project
|Purpose||informational clearinghouse on North Korea|
Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center One Woodrow Wilson Plaza 1300 Pennsylvania Ave. NWWashington, DC 20004-3027
|Christian F. Ostermann|
|Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars|
University of North Korean Studies|
Institute for Far Eastern Studies
The Syngman Rhee Institute, Yonsei University
The North Korea International Documentation Project (NKIDP) is part of the History and Public Policy Program at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. It seeks to serve as an informational clearinghouse on North Korea for both the scholarly and policy making communities by widely disseminating newly declassified documents on the DPRK from its former communist allies as well as other resources that provide valuable insight into the actions and nature of the North Korean state. The NKIDP has obtained and published documents on the history of North Korea from archives in the former Soviet Union, China, (East) Germany, Romania, Albania, Mongolia, Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary, the United States, and South Korea.
NKIDP believes that the efforts of contemporary scholars and policymakers are too often hampered by a distinct lack of knowledge about the North Korean leadership and political system. With no history of diplomatic relations with Pyongyang and severely limited access to the country’s elite, it is difficult for Western policymakers, journalists, and academics to understand the forces and intentions behind North Korea's enigmatic actions.
In cooperation with the University of North Korean Studies (Seoul) and an international network of researchers, the NKIDP provides access to both original and translated archival documents on the DPRK, publishes an NKIDP Working Paper series, regularly contributes to the Cold War International History Project (CWIHP) Bulletin series, and holds frequent conferences and workshops at the Wilson Center as well as throughout East Asia.
The NKIDP is supported by the Korea Foundation and other donors.
- "Acronym and Definition". The Free Dictionary. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- "In this 1968 telegram from Pyongyang, North Korea, released by the Wilson Center North Korea International Documentation Project". Associated Press. April 10, 2013. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- "Archive for the 'North Korea International Documentation Project (NKIDP)' Category". North Korean Economy Watch. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- Lerner, Mitch. "Wikileaks on North Korea Reveals Nothing New". History News Network. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- "Revisiting History: North Korea and Nuclear Weapons conference". National Asia Research Program (NARP). Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- Official website
- NKIDP's Modern Korean History Portal
- NKIDP's Inter-Korean Relations Database
- "北, 중국 믿지 않아"<美전문가> – Article features on Yonhap news highlighting the NKIDP coordinator James Person
- “80년대말 南인사, 동독거쳐 비밀訪北” 확인 – Article on Donga Daily featuring NKIDP documents obtained from E. Germany's STASI archive