North Las Vegas Police Department
|North Las Vegas Police Department (NLVPD)|
|Common name||North Town Police, North Las Vegas Police|
North Las Vegas Police Department patch
|Motto||"Committed to Excellence"|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Operations jurisdiction*||City of North Las Vegas in the state of Nevada, United States|
|Size||100.48 mi (161.71 km)|
|Legal jurisdiction||State of Nevada|
|Headquarters||2332 N. Las Vegas Blvd, North Las Vegas, NV 89030|
|Agency executive||Alexander Perez, Chief of Police|
|North Las Vegas Police Department|
|* Divisional agency: Division of the country, over which the agency has usual operational jurisdiction.|
Although North Las Vegas and Las Vegas are part of the same metropolitan area, share city limit boundaries, and are within Clark County, NLVPD is not part of the larger Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.
NLVPD was established in 1946 to serve the growing community of North Las Vegas, which at that time consisted of four square miles and had a population of around 3,000. Since then, NLVPD has grown dramatically to keep pace with the growth of North Las Vegas and the rest of Clark County.
As of 2016, NLVPD provided law enforcement services to an area of 100.48 square miles (260.2 km2) and a population of approximately 233,808 citizens. As of July 2016 NLVPD had 309 commissioned personnel (Police and Detention Officers) and 106 civilian support personnel. The agency grew rapidly, adding 150 officers during the period 2006-2009. However, the number of personnel has been reduced by the financial crisis that began in 2009.
In 2004 NLVPD created a website to promote recruiting, JoinNLVPD.com. 
Under the chief are four subordinate captains who run day-to day department operations in three bureaus: Operations (2), Investigations, and Detention Services. Administrative Services are managed by a civilian deputy director.
- Operations Command is divided into two geographical area commands, operating from separate facilities. These are the Northwest Area Command (NWAC) and the South Area Command (SAC). The Traffic Division also belongs to the Operations Command.
- Investigative Command includes the Detective Bureau, Crime Scene Investigations Bureau, Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT), Problem Solving Unit (PSU), K-9 Unit, and Narcotics Investigations Division.
- Detention Command Detention services are conducted at the Las Vegas city jail in a shared services agreement. 48 NLVPD employees work in that facility.
- Administrative Command includes the Communications Division (911 emergency dispatch), Animal Control Division, Resource Management Division, Community Services Division, Records Division, Validations Office, the Victim Witness Program, and Police Department Training Division.
The Special Assignments Unit (SAU) includes the Public Communications Office (public information officer, recruiting), and Field Training and Evaluation Program (FTEP). The SAU is supervised by a sworn police supervisor who reports to the Chief of Police.
- Chief's Advisory Council
- Línea Comunitaria Latina (Latino Community Connection)
- Citizens' Academy
- Explorer Program
- Citizen's Patrol
In popular culture
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to North Las Vegas Police Department.|