North Miami Beach High School
|North Miami Beach Senior High School|
1247 NE 167 Street
|School type||Public, high school|
|School district||Miami-Dade County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Red, White, and Blue|
North Miami Beach Senior High School (NMB High School) is a secondary school located at 1247 NE 167 Street in North Miami Beach, Florida, United States. Its current principal is Randy Milliken. NMB High School was built in 1971 as an overcrowding reliever school for North Miami High School and Miami Norland High School.
NMB High School's style of education, with no traditional letter grades, created tension within middle- and upper-middle-class North Dade County families, whose older children had attended and graduated from traditional Dade County schools. They were not happy that their younger children would be placed in an experimental school that eschewed the traditions the parents knew, as the Miami Herald reported at the time. However, by the time the school was four years old, the non-traditional approach had been abandoned.
NMB had an award-winning TV Production program led by teacher Patrica Nelson Miller from the late 70's through the 90's and early 2000's. The revolutionary program included a video yearbook, daily closed-circuit newscast and both prosumer and professional equipment. Alan Page was responsible for all technical facilities and worked closely with students and teachers to maintain equipment. The video yearbooks would have a student general manager and utilize a different theme each year. In 1994 the theme of the video yearbook was "Friends" and utilized a shot for shot recreation of the opening of the then wildly popular Warner Bros. sitcom "Friends".
NMB High School has a Biomedical and Environmental Advancement Magnet program (BEAM) available to all students in the district. The program gives higher education credits to students wishing to pursue a career in medicine or environmental sciences.
In the summer of 2005, the school added a two-story building to its campus.
When Alonzo and Tracy Mourning Senior High Biscayne Bay Campus opened in 2009, it relieved North Miami Beach High.
NMBSHS is 72% Black, 21% Hispanic (of any race), 3% Asian/other, and 4% White non-Hispanic.
North Miami Beach High School offers three magnet programs: AP Capstone pilot program, BEAM (Biomedical and Environmental Advancement Magnet Program) and iPrep. Students who successfully complete the Seminar and Capstone courses, and who earn a 3 or higher on three or more Advanced Placement courses, earn a Credential of Program completion.
Until a regional high school football stadium was built in the 1990s at the northern Biscayne Bay campus of Florida International University, the NMB Chargers football team played both its home and away games at the northern regional football stadium, Traz Powell Stadium. Located at the then Miami-Dade North Community College campus, now called Miami Dade College, it was more than seven miles (11 km) away from the NMB campus. It is 24 acres (97,000 m2).
This section does not cite any sources. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Garcelle Beauvais - actress and former fashion model
- E.J. Biggers - professional National Football League player
- Gwen Cooper - bestselling author and lecturer
- Jonathan Cyprien - professional National Football League player
- Louis Delmas - professional National Football League player
- Perry Farrell - singer/songwriter of band Janes Addiction
- Debbie Deb - singer and songwriter
- Eric Garcia - novelist and screenwriter
- Margie Goldstein-Engle - equestrian show horse champion
- Wymon Henderson - Professional football player
- Jordan Lund - actor
- MC Jin - rapper
- Brad Meltzer - author
- Frank Mottek - broadcast journalist at CBS Los Angeles
- Kirill Reznik - politician, Maryland House of Delegates (Maryland General Assembly)
- Sheryl Sandberg - Chief Operating Officer of Facebook
- Jefferson Noel - Author and Orator
- Cesar Altieri Sayoc Jr., Class of 1980 - criminal, suspect behind October 2018 United States mail bombing attempts
- "NORTH MIAMI BEACH SENIOR HIGH". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 12, 2017.
- "SS_QQQ1_1-24-09.pdf[dead link]." Alonzo and Tracy Mourning Senior High Biscayne Bay Campus. Retrieved on May 6, 2012.
- What we know about Cesar Sayoc, the Florida man suspected of mailing more than a dozen bombs USA Today, October 26, 2018