|• Chairman||Ramesh D Kurup|
|• Total||9.02 km2 (3.48 sq mi)|
|Elevation||13 m (43 ft)|
|• Density||3,300/km2 (8,600/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
North Paravur, also Paravur Taluk formerly known as Parur is a municipality formed in 1912 Ernakulam district in the Indian state of Kerala. Situated around 17 km away from Edappally, it is a northern suburb of Kochi city.
The coastal highway NH-66 Panvel-Kanyakumari passes through this historic town. The National Waterway – 3 Kollam – Kottapuram passes through the west end of the taluk.
The name Paravur is derived from Parayur. This is one of the 64 villages created by Parashurama. This town had been an old trading post, has a Jewish synagogue and had a thriving Jewish community before their conversion to Syrian Christians in the first century and their resettlement in Israel after its establishment. Cochin Jews lived in the towns of Kochi and North Paravur.
The various denominations of modern Saint Thomas Christians ascribe their unwritten tradition to the end of the 2nd century and believe that Thomas landed at Maliankara village in Paravur Taluk in AD 52. In AD 52 (St. Thomas) founded the churches popularly known as Ezharappallikal(seven and half churches). Two of such churches are at Parur (Kottakkaavu) and Kodungallur.
Paravur derived its name from ancient name parayur, which literally means the place of paravar, an ancient tribe. Paravar were the major inhabitants of the coastal areas of Kerala especially near the ancient capital mohodayapuram of chera dynasty. Descriptions about paravar can be found in sangha literature. Paravur was under the administration of Paravur king. Vypin was also in Parur. Paravur king joined with Kochi country, but later Parur transferred to the Travancore area (1864) as part of an agreement. The taluk was divided into Paravur and Alangad. Alangad comprised most parts of present-day Aluva taluk. At that period Paravur area included Puthenchira, Mala area of Chalakudy taluk. Muziris in Pattanam was the centre of Indian spice trade for many centuries, and was known to the Yavanas (Greeks) as well as Romans, Jews, Arabs, and Chinese since ancient times. Kochi rose to significance as a trading centre after the port at Muziris destroyed by massive flooding of the river Periyar in 1341. It was told till that time the Periyar River had a width of Cherai to Munambam. The mud and sand literally destroyed this natural port and the whole City along with its wealth went below the mud and sand.
Chendamangalam a historical place is also in Paravur. Chendamangalam was the place of Paliath Achans who was the ministers of Kochi kings. Now There is a palace of paliath family in Chendamangalam. Chavara monastery is in Koonammavu. North Paravur municipality is one among the former municipalities in Ernakulam District. Today it is a populated residential town in Ernakulam district due to its historical importance. Gothuruth, an island in Parur is the birthplace of the traditional Kerala art form of Chavittunatakam.
Paravur was once famous in the district for its traditional industries like coir, handlooms and agriculture. Now it's changing to a major residential suburb of Cochin where people looking jobs in city. The Eloor-Edayar industrial belt is in Paravur Taluk.
Paravur is located at 10.14° N 76.7° E. It has an average elevation of 10 metres (32 feet). The town is situated at north end of Ernakulam district and bordering with Thrissur district. The towns in Thrissur district like Kodungallore, Mala, Chalakudy and the towns Kalamassery, Aluva, Angamaly, Vypin island are located near to this town. The Paravur Taluk lies in the flat delta region of the Periyar river and cut by several canals, which have resulted in the formation of many islands. The Kodungalloor Kayal (backwaters) and Varappuzha Kayal (backwaters) are in this taluk.
- Sree Narayana Medical College, Chalaka SNIMS Portal
- SNMIMT Engineering college, Maliankara SNMIMT Portal
- SNGIST Professional College, Manjaly SNGIST Portal
- MES College of Engineering and Technology, Kunnukara MESCET Portal
- Holymatha College of Technology, Manakkapady Holymatha Portal
- SNGIST Arts & Science College, Manakkappady
- MES Arts and Science College, Kunnukara MES Portal
- Lakshmi College,parallel college with more than three thousand students.
- SNM Training College, Moothakunnam (Aided) SNM Training College Portal
- Sree Narayana Higher Secondary School, pullamkulam,North Paravur
- Infant Jesus Senior Secondary School,Kurumthottiparamb, North Paravur
- Adarsha Vidya Bhavan Senior Secondary School, Nanthiyaattkunnam, North Paravur
- MES Central School,Kunnukara & Eloor
- D.D.S.H.S Karimpadam
- Government Higher Secondary School (Boys), North Paravur
- Government Higher Secondary School (Girls), North Paravur
- S.N.V Sanskrit School Nanthiyattukunnam
- Hindi Prachara Sabha, Alengad
- St. Germains Zion L P School
- Sree Narayana arts & science college,kedamangalam
Temples, Churches and Mosques
- Peruvaram Mahadeva Temple, Paravur. At this temple, normally there is Prasad Lunch, at least once a month, during Nama Japam.
- Dakshina Mookambika Temple North Paravur- One of the most important Saraswathy temples in Kerala
- Kalikulangara Temple, Nanthiattukunam, Paravur: Famous for Thendu. Administerd by Sivagiri Trust.
- Perumpadanna Mahadeva Temple, Paravur- Undertaken by Kudumbi Samudaya Mahajana Sabha, N. paravur
- Sree Krishna Swami Temple, Kottayil Kovilakam
- Kottakkavu Mar Thoma Syro-Malabar Pilgrim Church, North Paravur founded by St. Thomas in A.D. 52
- St. Thomas Church, North Paravur where the tomb of Mar Gregorios Abdul Jaleel is situated
- Isha athu Sunna Juma Masjid Near Pvt Bus Stand N.Paravur
- Kattenellure Munavarsha Thangal Masjid Tattappilly
- Kottuvallikkad Alunkal Sree Bhadrakali Temple
- Thonniyakavu Bhadrakali temple which lies between two graveyards and therefore the deity is worshipped as Chudala Bhadrakali.
- Mannam Sreesubramanya Swami Temple Mannam P.O. North Paravur
- Sreekrishna Swami Temple Nandhikulangara North Paravur
- Makkanayil mahadeva kshethram, North paravur
- Kannankulangara Sree krishna swami temple , North Paravur
- Palaril Bhagaathi temple ,North Paravur
- Chirapurath Sree Bhadrakali Temple , North Paravur
- Parayil Ayyappa Temple,Vadakkumpuram(one of the ancient temples in kerala)
St Joseph Cottolengo Church situated at Pallithazham,Celebrate feast during the month of May every year.
- Paravur Mookambika Navarathri festival
- Kalikulangara valiyavilakku fest
- Moothakunam temple fest
- Dukrana of St. Thomas the Apostle.
- Chakkumarassery Temple Fest
- The celebration of Sacred Heart of Jesus, Don Bosco Church North Paravur.
- Perumpadanna Holi fest at Perumpadanna KSMS Mahadeva temple.
- Mannam Thaypooyam Festival
- Peruvaram Temple Fest
- Kottuvallikkad Alunkal Sree Badrakali Temple Fest
Places of interest in Taluk
- Periyar branch: Paravur river
- Chinese fishing nets in lagoons
- Pattanam, Muziris tourism circuit
- Kottayil Kovilakam
- Chendamangalam, Vypeekotta Seminary
- Mouth of Chalakudy River
- Varappuzha Lagoon and bridge
- North Paravur town
- Ambedkar Park, North Paravur
- Cherai beach
- Munambam Beach
|Members of Legislative Assembly|
|Paravur Assembly Constituency||V.D.Satheesan|
|Kalamassery Assembly Constituency||V. K. Ebrahimkunju|
|Member of Parliament|
|Ernakulam Lok Sabha constituency||K.V.Thomas|
North Paravur is the headquarters of Paravur Taluk and Paravur, Kalamassery State Assembly constituencies. North Paravur and Eloor are Municipalities in Paravur Taluk. The Grama Panchayats in Paravur Taluk are Alengad, Chendamangalam, Chittatukara, Ezhikkara, Kadungalloor, Karumalore, Kottuvally, Kunnukara, Puthanvelikkara, Vadakkekara and Varappuzha. The Block Panchayats are Paravur and Alengad. Paravur, Kalamassery Assembly constituencies belong to Ernakulam (Lok Sabha constituency)constituency. V.D Satheesan is the M.L.A of Paravur from 2001. North Paravur is the seat of Ernakulam Additional District court. Other courts are Munsif, Magistrate. There is Sales Tax, Supplies, Sub Treasury offices in Paravur. Paravur civil station is located in Kacheri compound. In India electronic Voting Machines ("EVM")were first used in 1982 in the by-election to North Paravur Assembly Constituency of Kerala for a limited number of polling stations (50 polling stations). Alengad block is situated at Kottapuram.
Police stations in the Taluk area Paravur Circle: Paravur Station, Varapuzha Stations Vadakkekara Circle: Vadakkekara Station, Puthenvelikkara Station Eloor area: Binanipuram Station,Eloor Station Alengad Station Fire Service: Paravur Fire Station, FACT Eloor
KL-42 is the RTO code for Paravur Taluk, Vypin and North Paravur. Paravur JRTO is situated at Perumpadanna. There is a KSRTC Subdepot, Private Limited Stop bus stand and a Private bus stand in the town conducting services to all important places of Kerala. There is frequent bus services to Ernakulam, Malabar from here. The nearest railway station is Aluva 16 km away. The Cochin International Airport at Nedumbassery is about 20 km away from the town. There is frequent boats and ferry services in the nearby rivers and lagoons.
Every year boat races are organised in different parts of Paravur and major one is North Paravur water race. Paravur is famous for tug of wars. Volleyball is a popular game in Paravur. There is a municipal stadium in Paravur and FACT ground in Eloor. There are plans to build a swimming pond in taluk. There is a municipal park in Pullamkulam, near to Peruvaram which is well maintained.
Media in Paravur Taluk
All Major Malayalam newspapers have bureaux in Paravur Taluk. Paravur press club is situated at alinchuvad N.Paravur. Local television stations in Paravur includes ACV(Press club), Paravur Vision Muziris Today(Perumbadana).
Localities in Paravur
These are the localities or wards in Paravur Municipality. Perumpadanna, Kedamangalam, Nanthiattukunnam, Peruvaram, Vazhikulangara, Kizhkepram, Vedimara, Pullamkulam, Vaniyakkad, Nandikulangara, Paravoothara, Pallamthuruth, Mattumal, Kurunthotiparamb, Poosaripady, Thoniyakav. Town:KMK Jn|Potten street, Mookambi, Municipal, Kacheripady|Court, Chendamangalam Jn, Thekkenaluvazhi, Market, Kannankulangara, Pvt. Busstand
Kodungallur (11 km North), Aluva (16 km East South), Kalamassery (16 km East South), Angamaly (20 km North East), Irinjalakuda (27 km North East), Chalakudy (28 km North East).
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for North Paravur.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to North Paravur.|