North Plainfield High School
|North Plainfield High School|
|34 Wilson Avenue
North Plainfield, NJ 07060
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||North Plainfield School District|
|Principal||Jerard W. Stephenson|
|Asst. principal||Edison Torres Jr.|
|Enrollment||993 (as of 2015-16)|
|Student to teacher ratio||10.7:1|
|Athletics conference||Skyland Conference|
|Accreditation||Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools|
North Plainfield High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school serving students in ninth through twelfth grade from North Plainfield, in Somerset County, New Jersey, United States, operating as part of the North Plainfield School District. The school is fully certified by the New Jersey Department of Education and has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1929.
As of the 2015-16 school year, the school had an enrollment of 993 students and 92.5 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 10.7:1. There were 504 students (50.8% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 132 (13.3% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 266th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 207th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 256th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 226th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 189th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
North Plainfield High School offers a comprehensive program of studies. 81% of the class of 2005 entered college or other post-secondary education, 13% sought employment, and 6% pursued other options. The array of classes at Advanced Placement (AP), high ability, college preparatory, and general levels includes opportunities for independent study, a shared-time vocational program with Somerset County Vocational and Technical High School, courses in conjunction with Satellite Education Resource Consortium, and courses offered through a Tech-Prep partnership developed with Raritan Valley Community College. Courses in AP Calculus and AP Physics, Probability and Statistics, and Latin have also been offered either through other school districts in the Interactive Television (ITV) classroom or through the Florida Virtual Academy, an internet-based resource. A state-of-the-art Computer Assisted Drafting Lab, networked computer lab, and a comprehensive physical education facility opened in 1990-1991.
The North Plainfield High School Canucks have competed since 2005 in the Raritan Division of the Skyland Conference, which operates under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 740 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as Central Jersey, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 498 to 750 students in that grade range. The school had competed in the Mountain Valley Conference prior to the 2009 reorganization.
North Plainfield's football team won the 2008 Skyland Conference Raritan Division Championship. In 2011 North Plainfield's Canucks went undefeated during the regular season achieving the record of 9-0. They won the Skyland conference and entered the conference playoffs as the number 1 seed and secured home field advantage for the remainder of the playoffs. The North Plainfield Canucks played the #8 seed Carteret High School Ramblers, losing by a score of 27-21. The 2011 Canucks were the 3rd football team in Canuck history to ever achieve the record of 9-0 during the regular season.
North Plainfield's soccer team won three Group II Conference Championships from 1986, 1987 and 1988. The team finished those seasons ranked as one of the top teams in the state outscoring opponents (127 goals for 8 against).
- Hank Beenders (1916-2003), early professional basketball player.
- Pete Carmichael (born 1941), former football coach.
- John DiMaggio (born 1968), voice actor and former stand-up comedian.
- Bill Evans (1929–80), jazz musician.
- John T. "Jack" Melick Jr. (born 1929), band leader, pianist, and arranger.
- Molly Price (born 1966), actress who has appeared on Third Watch.
- Myke Scavone, harmonica player and vocalist best known for his work with the bands The Doughboys, Ram Jam and The Yardbirds.
- Steve Schmidt (born 1970, class of 1988), senior campaign strategist and advisor to the 2008 presidential campaign of Senator John McCain.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Jerard W. Stephenson, Principal
- Edison Torres Jr., Assistant Principal
- School data for North Plainfield High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed February 12, 2018.
- North Plainfield High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 31, 2016.
- North Plainfield High School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Elementary and Secondary Schools. Accessed February 8, 2018.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 2, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 26, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Home Page, Mountain Valley Conference, backed up by the Internet Archive as of May 9, 2009. Accessed November 22, 2014.
- North Plainfield High School 2006 Football Preview, The Courier-News, accessed December 16, 2006.
- Narducci, Marc. "Eustace, Gloucester Catholic Squaring Off For Baseball Title", The Philadelphia Inquirer, June 3, 1996. Accessed November 22, 2014. "North Plainfield is a veteran team with seven seniors.The Canucks' 9-6 Central Jersey Group 2 championship win over Ridge was their first sectional baseball title in the 100-year history of the school."
- Chodan, Miller. "Boys Soccer: North Plainfield tops Del Val for 1st sectional title", The Daily Journal (New Jersey), November 11, 2010. Accessed June 18, 2011. "The win gives third-seeded North Plainfield (13-6-1) its first sectional title. The Canucks will play the South champion Tuesday in the Group II semifinals."
- Hank Beenders, Basketball-Reference.com. Accessed September 22, 2007.
- Staff. "Veteran NFL Coach Pete Carmichael Joins Panthers Football Staff", Pittsburgh Panthers football, March 1, 2004. Accessed September 21, 2015. "A native of Plainfield, N.J., he attended North Plainfield High, where he lettered three years in both football and baseball."
- "Disney Channel Profile of John DiMaggio" Archived 2008-06-08 at the Wayback Machine., Accessed April 09, 2010.
- Pettinger, Peter. "Bill Evans: How My Heart Sings", via The New York Times. Accessed October 19, 2008.
- An oral history of Jack Melick recorded May 6, 2011.
- Morella, Nicole. "Attacks hit home - and heart - for `Third Watch' actress", Courier News (New Jersey), September 23, 2002. Accessed February 26, 2011. "The television star grew up in North Plainfield where her mother still lives. Price graduated from North Plainfield High School and enrolled at Rutgers."
- Makin, Bob. "Makin Waves with Myke Scavone of Doughboys, Yardbirds", Courier News, June 19, 2016. Accessed September 30, 2016. "Q: What are you looking forward to most about playing the North Plainfield High School class reunion on Sept. 9? A: That's my 50th high school reunion."
- Staff. "North Plainfield H.S. Alumni Hall of Fame to induct 5 new members", The Messenger-Gazette, September 26, 2011. Accessed March 13, 2012. "Schmidt was extensively involved with student government at NPHS and has carried this interest to the highest levels of State and National Politics. He is currently the Vice Chairman of Edelman Public Affairs in Sacramento, CA. Schmidt served as a senior advisor to the McCain presidential campaign, and as Campaign Manager for the re-election of California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2006. He also served as deputy assistant to President George W. Bush."
- Contact Us, North Plainfield School District. Accessed February 3, 2014.