North Point High School
|North Point High School|
|2500 Davis Road
Waldorf, Maryland 20603
|School type||Public, secondary school|
|Motto||The real world starts here...
Create your own tomorrow!
|School district||Charles County Public Schools|
|Principal||Mr. Michael Simms|
|Color(s)||Red, black, gold, white|
|Newspaper||Eagle Eye |
|Website||North Point High School website|
North Point High School is a school for science, technology, and industry. It is located in the far western area of Waldorf, Maryland, United States. At 311,000 square feet (28,900 m2) and with about 2,200 students enrolled, it is the largest high school in Charles County. It is also the second newest high school, having opened in 2005. Its mascot, the Eagle, was derived from the motto of Charles County, "The wild side of the Potomac... Where eagles soar!"
North Point has 17 science, technology and industry (referred to as STI) programs. An estimated half of the student body is enrolled in one of these programs, while the other half receives a normal high school education.
The programs are as follows:
School of Advanced Technology and Engineering
- Cisco Networking Academy
School of Technology
- Automotive Technology
- Collision Repair
- Graphic Communications
- Welding Technology
School of Construction Development
- Electrical Construction
School of Health and Protective Services
- Criminal Justice
- Culinary Arts
- Education Careers
- Academy of Health Professions
Honors and Awards
North Point's SkillsUSA chapter won medals at the SkillsUSA National Leadership Conference in June 2010. The group placed first (gold) in Industrial Motor control, and second (silver) in Culinary Arts. In its first year ever competing in quiz bowl, that team also brought home a gold medal.
- North Point High School has 44 total sports ranging from the Freshman to the Varsity Levels, which compete in the Southern Maryland Athletic Conference (SMAC). North Point competes in the class 4A division.
- Until 2011, The Athletic Director for North Point was Aly Khan "A.K." Johnson, brother of Penn State Defensive Line Football coach Larry Johnson, and uncle of Larry Johnson Jr.
- The 2008 North Point CoEd Varsity Golf won the Maryland 2A State Title on October 23.
- The North Point Boys Varsity Track teams have collected two state championships. In 2008, they won the Maryland 2A Outdoor Track and Field State Championship (in a tie with Walkersville High School on May 24. The following winter, they won the 2008/2009 Maryland 2A Indoor Track and Field State Championship on February 16.
- In 2009, the Girls Varsity Outdoor Track and Field team won the Maryland 2A Outdoor Track and Field State Championship on May 23.
- The 2010-2011 North Point's Boys Varsity Basketball Team Completed an undefeated 27-0 season with a win against Patterson Senior High in the Maryland 4A Boys Basketball State Championship game on March 12. North Point is the first team from the SMAC to win a state championship in Boys Basketball since 1972.
- North Point hosts the wrestling state duals every year
- "Schools & Centers". Charles County Public Schools. Retrieved 2010-11-23.
- "Cisco Announces Connected Learning Technology Blueprint for Schools". Cisco. 26 October 2005. Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- "Charles County Career & Technology Center's Cisco Academy". Charles County Board of Education. Archived from the original on 27 December 2004. Retrieved 2009-11-11.