North River (Iowa)
|Districts||Polk County, Iowa, Warren County, Iowa, Madison County, Iowa, Adair County, Iowa, Guthrie County, Iowa|
|Mouth||Des Moines River|
|- elevation||758 ft (231 m)|
The North River is a tributary of the Des Moines River in south-central Iowa in the United States. It is 103 miles (166 km) long and drains an area of 349.2 square miles (904 km2). Via the Des Moines River, it is part of the watershed of the Mississippi River.
The North River rises northeast of Casey in southern Guthrie County and flows generally eastwardly through Adair, Madison and Warren counties, past Carlisle, into southeastern Polk County, where it joins the Des Moines River 10 miles (16 km) southeast of Des Moines.
In Madison County, it collects a short tributary known as the North Branch North River.
- U.S. Geological Survey. National Hydrography Dataset high-resolution flowline data. The National Map, accessed May 26, 2011
- Iowa Department of Natural Resources. Watershed Monitoring and Assessment: North River
- DeLorme (1998). Iowa Atlas & Gazetteer. Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme. ISBN 0-89933-214-5.
- Columbia Gazetteer of North America entry for North River
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: North Branch North River
|This article related to a river in Iowa is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|