|North Sea Trail|
|Length||4,900 km (3,000 mi)|
|Location||North Sea coasts|
The North Sea Trail is a transnational long-distance hiking trail along the coast of the North Sea. The route passes through seven countries and 26 partner areas. The aim of the project is to promote sustainable tourism and to keep alive the common cultural heritage of the North Sea countries. The trail has a theoretical total length of about 4,900 kilometres (3,000 mi), but so far only about 3,700 kilometres (2,300 mi) have been developed.
The EU-funded North Sea Trail project involves Sweden, Norway, Scotland, England, the Netherlands, Denmark, and Germany.
The trail starts in the north of Great Britain in Scotland and stretches along the entire east coast. The trail continues along the Dutch and German coasts to Denmark. Denmark is rounded out and the path on the west coast of Sweden continued from Kattegat to the Skagerrak. The trail then stretches along the Norwegian coast.
Only the Netherlands and Denmark offer a completed developed route. In Germany, the path is largely unknown and not signposted. On some short sections, the North Sea Trail is identical to the European long-distance path E9. On some sections, the North Sea Trail is identical to the better known North Sea Cycle Route.
The seven countries are:
- Partner areas: Karrharde
North Sea Trail Association
The project was originally part funded by the European Union through its Interreg IIIB North Sea Programme.
The project partners have decided to establish a North Sea Trail Association so that the Trail can be supported in the long term. The UK's representative on the Association is Aberdeen.
There is also a North Sea Cycle Route integrated with the North Sea Trail.
- Aberdeen City's North Sea Trail leaflet
- Aberdeenshire Council's series of 38 downloadable maps and leaflets
- Welcome to the Moray Firth Trail
- "North Sea Trail".
- 'Literature | Title=The North Sea Trail | Collectible=Toppenafdanmark | Online=https://www.visithirtshals.dk/ln-int/north-sea-trail-gdk641071 | Retrieval=2018-08-19
- North Sea Trail official website does not exist any longer
- North Sea Trail (from Aberdeen)
- Traildino.com, "North Sea Trail"
- Website North Sea Trail in Internet Archive