|Founded||Great Neck, New York, United States
|Founder||Merger of North Shore Health System and LIJ Medical Center|
|Headquarters||Great Neck, New York, United States|
|New York metropolitan area|
|Michael J. Dowling, president and chief executive officer (since January 2002)|
Number of employees
|More than 61,000|
Northwell Health, founded in 1997, is a healthcare network that includes 21 hospitals, Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine, The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, rehabilitation and skilled nursing facilities, a home care network, a hospice network and progressive care centers offering a range of outpatient services.
Headquartered in Great Neck, New York, Northwell is the largest integrated health system in New York State, based on patient revenue, and the 14th largest healthcare system in the United States. Its service area encompasses more than eight million people throughout the New York metropolitan area. With more than 61,000 employees, Northwell is the largest private employer in New York State.
- Cancer – The Northwell Health Cancer Institute employs physicians who specialize in radiation medicine, surgical oncology, medical oncology and hematology, pediatric hematology-oncology, urologic oncology and radiation oncology. Treatment specialists are supported by diagnostic imaging including CT, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), positron emission tomography (PET scan) and nuclear imaging, and laboratory diagnostic programs.
- Cardiovascular services – Northwell Health's Cardiovascular Services provide a full range of cardiac care from diagnostic tests and educational classes to cardiac catheterization and surgery.
- Neurosciences – The Cushing Neuroscience Institute offers diagnosis and treatment of Chiari malformation and syringomyelia, neurovascular diseases and stroke, movement disorders, brain and spinal cord tumors, diseases of the spine, neuromuscular and peripheral nerve diseases, neurodegenerative diseases, pain, epilepsy, neurological disease of infancy and childhood as well as neuro-regeneration and neuro-rehabilitation.
- Orthopaedics – The Northwell Orthopaedic Institute offers programs in joint replacement, spine care, trauma and fractures, musculoskelatal oncology, foot and ankle, hand and wrist, sports medicine, shoulder and elbow, and pediatrics.
- Pediatrics – Cohen Children's Medical Center of New York (formally the Steven & Alexandra Cohen Children's Medical Center of New York) provides care in major clinical areas such as adolescent medicine, neonatology, cancer and blood disorders, ophthalmology, among others.
- Urology – The Arthur Smith Institute for Urology is dedicated to the treatment of urologic disease through surgical procedures, diagnostics and medical care, including minimally invasive treatment of the prostate, bladder and kidneys.
- Women's health – The Katz Women's Hospital at North Shore University Hospital and LIJ Medical Center offers programs in perinatal and obstetrics, gynecology, urogynecology, minimally invasive and robotic surgery, infertility and pediatric and adolescent gynecology.
Tertiary (teaching) hospitals
- Lenox Hill Hospital, Manhattan, New York
- Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, New York
- North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, New York
- Southside Hospital, Bay Shore, New York 
- Staten Island University Hospital, North, Staten Island, New York
Specialty care hospitals
- South Oaks Hospital, Amityville, New York 
- The Steven & Alexandra Cohen Children's Medical Center of New York, New Hyde Park, New York 
- Zucker Hillside Hospital, Glen Oaks (Queens), New York
- Glen Cove Hospital, Glen Cove, New York 
- Huntington Hospital, Huntington, New York 
- Long Island Jewish Forest Hills, Forest Hills (Queens), New York 
- Long Island Jewish Valley Stream, Valley Stream, New York 
- Northern Westchester Hospital, Mount Kisco, New York 
- Peconic Bay Medical Center, Riverhead, New York 
- Phelps Memorial Hospital Center, Sleepy Hollow, New York 
- Plainview Hospital, Plainview, New York
- Staten Island University Hospital, South, Staten Island, New York
- Syosset Hospital, Syosset, New York 
- Crouse Hospital, Syracuse, New York 
- Boca Raton Regional Hospital, Boca Raton, FL 
- Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn 
- Nassau University Medical Center, East Meadow, New York 
- Barnabas Health
- CASA Columbia (The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University), New York City, New York
- Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio
- Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, New York 
- Karolinska Institute, Solna, Stockholm County, Sweden
- Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, New York 
- Yale New Haven Health
- Synergy Health Northeast, Bethpage, NY
Northwell Physician Partners
Northwell has more than 2,750 employed physicians and one of the nation's largest medical groups—Northwell Physician Partners.
Michael J. Dowling has been the president and chief executive officer of Northwell since January 2002. Prior to that, Dowling served as Northwell's executive vice president and chief operating officer since October 1997, overseeing development, planning and operations following the merger of North Shore University Hospital and Long Island Jewish Medical Center that created the health system.
Executive Vice President Lawrence G. Smith, MD, MACP, is Northwell's physician-in-chief, the health system's senior physician on all clinical issues, and the dean of Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine.
Senior Vice President David Battinelli, MD, is Northwell's chief medical officer, responsible for the overall professional management of clinical, education, research and operational issues related to all medical and clinical affairs throughout the health system.
Quality and public reporting
Northwell received The Joint Commission and the National Quality Forum's John M. Eisenberg Award for Innovation in Patient Safety and Quality for reducing sepsis mortality by 50%.
Also, Northwell is the recipient of the John Q. Sherman Award for Excellence in Patient Engagement from the National Patient Safety Foundation and EngagingPatients.org for standardizing processes for patient identification guided by input from patients and families.
The health system discloses its hospitals' quality performance data to the public on its web site which includes information on hospital-acquired infection rates; performance in treating patients for heart attacks, heart failure and pneumonia; and success rates in performing cardiac bypass surgery and joint replacement surgeries. Patient satisfaction scores are also posted.
An integral part of the Northwell, The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research  is a disease-oriented biomedical research institution. It ranks among the nation's top six percent of all institutions that receive funding from the National Institutes of Health.
The Center for Learning and Innovation (CLI) , Lake Success, New York, is Northwell's corporate training which offers courses, programs and services for employees' personal and professional development.
CLI's Patient Safety Institute (PSI), Lake Success, New York, was established to reduce medical errors and hospital-acquired infections. Its full-scale patient simulators based on computer-based, interactive technology and digitally-enhanced mannequins enable instructors to replicate virtually any medical scenario. This gives medical students, surgical residents, nurses and other healthcare professionals the opportunity to practice clinical skills without risk to real patients.
As a clinical medical educational institution, Northwell is responsible for more than 1,600 residents and fellows, and 120 resident and fellow programs . More than 1,200 medical students rotate through health system facilities.
In 2011, Northwell partnered with Hofstra University to establish a new medical school on Hofstra's campus in Hempstead, New York. The Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine's first class of medical students began their studies in August 2011 and graduated in May 2015.
In March 2015, following the success of the new medical school, Hofstra University and Northwell partnered to establish the Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies.
- Jane Krakowski and Tina Fey stated on the Today Show that they had their respective children at a Northwell hospital.
- Beyoncé and Jay Z's daughter, Blue Ivy, born on January 7, 2012 at a Northwell hospital.
- New York Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist's wife gave birth to their daughter in July 2012 at a Northwell hospital.
- In September 2014, Chelsea Clinton, daughter of President Bill Clinton and former United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, gave birth to her daughter Charlotte Clinton Mezvinsky at a Northwell hospital. In June 2016, she gave birth to her son Aidan Clinton Mezvinsky in a Northwell hospital.
- Comedian Seth Meyers' son, Ashe Olsen, was born in a Northwell hospital on March 27, 2016.
- IMS Top 100 Integrated Healthcare Networks 2012.
- . Healthcare Finance News
- . NewsMax Media
- "Leaders interview with Interview with Donna Drummond".
- Today Show: Tina Fey and Jane Krakowski Discuss 30 Rock. YouTube. January 10, 2012.
- Carbone, Nick (January 8, 2012). "Beyoncé’s Baby Arrives: Blue Ivy Carter Born Saturday in New York City". Time. Time Inc. Retrieved March 31, 2015.
- "Chelsea Clinton gives birth to baby girl". NY Daily News.
- Strohm, Emily (March 27, 2016). "Seth Meyers Welcomes a Son". People. Retrieved March 28, 2016.
.northwell .edu, the company's official website
.hofstra .edu, the company's medical school (partnered with Hofstra)