North Shore Shrimp Trucks
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
North Shore Shrimp Trucks is a common term on the island of Oahu in Hawaii for a group of individually owned and operated trucks that sell mostly local, fresh shrimp along the island's North Shore, mostly near the town of Kahuku. Other trucks can be found along the Kamehameha Highway from Haleiwa Town to Punaluu.
The North Shore became an important center for large scale fresh water aquaculture after the state began research and promotion efforts in 1975. In 1993, Giovanni's (now Giovanni's Original White Shrimp Truck) started serving shrimp from a mobile truck, which set up a permanent location in Kahuku by 1995. In the wake of its success, other trucks followed to sell the area's shrimp as tourism and residential population increased along the North Shore. Those in operation today include Blue Water Shrimp, Famous Kahuku Shrimp Truck, Fumi's Kahuku Shrimp and Seafood, Giovanni's Original White Shrimp Truck, Macky's Kahuku Sweet Shrimp, Romy's Kahuku Prawns and Shrimp Hut and The Shrimp Shack.
Each truck has a unique style and flavor but most serve both the basic garlic & butter and the hot and spicy shrimp along with their individual specialties. The servings are typically done Hawaiian plate lunch style, served with rice and/or macaroni salad.
In the media
- Terry Richard, "Oahu's North Shore shrimp trucks keep multitudes well fed at Kahuku", The Oregonian, December 18, 2013.
- "Meals: North shore shrimp trucks", Los Angeles Times, October 19, 2007.
- Heather Shouse (26 April 2011). Food Trucks: Dispatches and Recipes from the Best Kitchens on Wheels. Potter/TenSpeed/Harmony. pp. 40–44. ISBN 978-1-60774-065-0.. Excerpts available at Google Books.
- Derek Paiva, "Big Shrimpin'! Our guide to North Shore Oahu shrimp trucks and stands", Hawaii Magazine, January 27, 2014.
- Wallace Turner, "Shellfish farming growing in Hawaii", The New York Times, July 4, 1981.
- "Best Food Trucks on Oahu - Aloha Multimedia GroupAloha Multimedia Group". Alohamultimediagroup.com. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "What's a drive in the country without shrimp? - The Honolulu Advertiser - Hawaii's Newspaper". The.honoluluadvertiser.com. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Shrimp Trucks of Oahu's North Shore". Hawaiiforvisitors.com. Retrieved 23 June 2017.