North Sinai Governorate
North Sinai Governorate
North Sinai Governorate on the map of Egypt
|• Governor||Mohamed Abdel-Fadil Shousha|
|• Total||27,574 km2 (10,646 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
North Sinai Governorate (Egyptian Arabic: محافظة شمال سيناء Muḥāfẓet Shamāl Sīnāʾ) is one of the governorates of Egypt. It is located in the north-eastern part of the country, and encompasses the northern half of the Sinai Peninsula. It is bordered in the north by the Mediterranean Sea, in the south by South Sinai Governorate, in the west by Port Said, Ismailia, and Suez Governorates, and in the east by the Gaza Strip and Israel. Its capital is the city of El Arish. A governorate is administered by a governor, who is appointed by the President of Egypt and serves at the president's discretion.
The population of the North Sinai Governorate as at 2015 was 434,781 people, comprising predominantly Bedouin tribesmen. The Governorate covers an area of 27,574 square kilometers. The population density is 15 inhabitants per square kilometer.
A significant economic activity of the Bedouin tribes has been smuggling. They have been active smuggling into the Gaza Strip supplies and weapons using cross-border tunnels as well as assisting illegal migrants into Israel. These activities have been curtailed by the Egyptian government crackdown of smuggling into the Gaza Strip and by the building of the Israel-Egypt barrier.
North Sinai has since 2011 been especially affected by the Sinai insurgency and measures by government forces to combat it, which has resulted in many casualties. On October 14, 2016 twelve Egyptian troops were killed at a checkpoint near El Arish.
|Anglicized name||Native name||Arabic transliteration||Population
(July 2017 Est.)
|El Arish 1||قسم أول العريش||Al-'Arīsh 1||55,843||Kism (urban and rural parts)|
|El Arish 2||قسم ثان العريش||Al-'Arīsh 2||65,772||Kism (fully urban)|
|El Arish 3||قسم ثالث العريش||Al-'Arīsh 3||44,277||Kism (fully urban)|
|El Arish 4||قسم رابع العريش||Al-'Arīsh 4||27,164||Kism (urban and rural parts)|
|El Hassana||قسم الحسنة||Al-Ḥasanah||8,527||Kism (urban and rural parts)|
|Sheikh Zuweid||قسم الشيخ زويد||Ash-Shaykh Zuwayd||60,176||Kism (urban and rural parts)|
|Bir El Abd||قسم بئر العبد||B'īr al-'Abd||55,535||Kism (urban and rural parts)|
|Nakhl||قسم نخل||Nakhl||6,051||Kism (urban and rural parts)|
|Rafah||قسم رفح||Rafaḥ||75,826||Kism (urban and rural parts)|
|Shurtet El Qasima||قسم شرطة القسيمة||Shurṭah al-Qasīmah||12,011||Kism (fully rural)|
|Shurtet Rumana||قسم شرطة رمانة||Shurṭah Rumānah||40,808||Kism (fully rural)|
According to population estimates, in 2015 the majority of residents in the governorate lived in urban areas, with an urbanization rate of 60.2%. Out of an estimated total of 434,781 people, 261,686 people lived in urban areas and 173,095 lived in rural areas.
Cities and towns
- El Arishˇthe capital and largest city, with 164,830 inhabitants as of 2012[update].
- Bir al-Abed
- Hassana (see Raid on Bir el Hassana and the map included therein; "bir" means "a well")
- Sheikh Zuweid
According to the Egyptian Governing Authority for Investment and Free Zones (GAFI), in affiliation with the Ministry of Investment (MOI), the following industrial zones are located in the governorate:
- Bir Al Abd
- Al Masa’eed Artisans
- Heavy industrial zone - Arish
- "اPop. Estimates by Governorate 1/1/2018". www.capmas.gov.eg. Archived from the original on 2018-11-02.
- "رسمياً.. المحافظون الجدد ونوابهم يؤدون اليمين الدستورية أمام الرئيس". Almasry Alyoum (in Arabic). 30 August 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-08-31. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- "State Information Service". Archived from the original on 2015-02-07. Retrieved 2015-02-07.
- IRIN: Economic life slows to a crawl amid crackdown in North Sinai Archived 2015-02-07 at the Wayback Machine
- Hughes, Clyde (October 14, 2016). "Sinai Checkpoint Attack Kills 12 Egyptian Troops". Newsmax. Archived from the original on 2016-10-16. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- SWEILAM,, Ashraf (October 14, 2016). "Militant attack kills 12 Egyptian soldiers in Sinai". AP. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "North Sinai Governorates Subdivisions". CityPopulation.de. Archived from the original on 2018-11-25. Retrieved 2018-11-24.
- "Markazes of Egypt". statoids.com. Gwillim Law. Archived from the original on 2017-10-19. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- "Population Estimates By Sex & Governorate 1/1/2015" (PDF). CAPMAS. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2015-10-19. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- Law, Gwillim (November 23, 1999). Administrative Subdivisions of Countries: A Comprehensive World Reference, 1900 Through 1998. McFarland. ISBN 978-0-7864-6097-7.
- "Industrial Zones of Governorate". Ministry of Investment Egypt. Archived from the original on 2018-11-23. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to North Sinai Governorate.|