North Slope Borough, Alaska
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|North Slope Borough, Alaska|
Location in the U.S. state of Alaska
Alaska's location in the U.S.
|Incorporated||July 2, 1972|
|• Total||94,796 sq mi (245,521 km2)|
|• Land||88,695 sq mi (229,719 km2)|
|• Water||6,101 sq mi (15,802 km2), 6.4%|
|• Density||0.1/sq mi (0/km²)|
|Time zone||Alaska: UTC-9/-8|
North Slope Borough is a borough located largely in the North Slope region of the U.S. state of Alaska. As of the 2010 census, the population was 9,430. The borough seat is Barrow. Since 2011 the mayor is Charlotte Brower.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 94,796 square miles (245,520 km2), of which 88,695 square miles (229,720 km2) is land and 6,101 square miles (15,800 km2) (6.4%) is water. The borough is larger than 39 states.
The North Slope Borough is the largest county-level political subdivision in the United States by area, with a larger land area than that of the state of Utah (itself the 13th largest state in the nation). Although the adjacent Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area is larger in area, it has no borough-level government. The borough is also the fourth-least densely populated county-level entity in the United States (the Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area is the least densely populated county-level entity).
Adjacent boroughs and census areas
National protected areas
- Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge (part of the Chukchi Sea unit)
- Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (part)
- Mollie Beattie Wilderness (part)
- Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve (part)
- Noatak National Preserve (part)
- Noatak Wilderness (part)
Other federal areas
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2010, there were 7,385 people, 2,109 households, and 1,524 families residing in the borough. The population density was 12.03 square miles (31.2 km2) per person. There were 2,538 housing units at an average density of 35 square miles (91 km2) per unit. The racial makeup of the borough was 17.09% White, 0.72% Black or African American, 68.38% Native American, mostly Inuit, 5.92% Asian, 0.84% Pacific Islander, 0.50% from other races, and 6.55% from two or more races. 2.37% of the population was Hispanic or Latino of any race. 42.84% reported speaking Iñupiaq or "Eskimo" at home, while 4.21% reported speaking Tagalog.
There were 2,109 households out of which 48.10% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.3% were married couples living together, 18.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.70% were non-families. 21.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 1.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.45 and the average family size was 4.05.
In the borough the population was spread out with 38.2% under the age of 18, 9.50% from 18 to 24, 30.1% from 25 to 44, 18.10% from 45 to 64, and 4.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 27 years. For every 100 females there were 112.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 113.90 males.
The current mayor, Charlotte Brower, was re-elected in 2014. In 2015 she was fined by the Alaska Public Offices Commission for campaign finance violations. Her office is currently under investigation for donation policy violations. Her husband, Eugene Brower, was mayor in the 1980s before pleading guilty to tax evasion.
- "North Slope Borough Local Emergency Planning District (LEPD)". Alaska Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management. 2007-12-31. Retrieved 2012-05-04.
- 1996 Alaska Municipal Officials Directory. Juneau: Alaska Municipal League/Alaska Department of Community and Regional Affairs. January 1996. p. 13.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Reiss, Bob (July 18, 2010). "The Mayor at the Top of the World". Parade. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
He governs the Wyoming-sized North Slope Borough of Alaska, a territory larger than 39 of our 50 states
- "County Totals Dataset: Population, Population Change and Estimated Components of Population Change: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "MLA Language Map Data for North Slope County, Alaska". Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- North-Slope.org - Official Borough Website
- Borough map, 2000 census: Alaska Department of Labor
- Borough map, 2010 census: Alaska Department of Labor
|Yukon Territory, Canada|
|Northwest Arctic Borough||Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area|