North South University
নর্থ সাউথ বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়
Seal of North South University
|Motto||Center of Excellence in Higher Education|
|Type||Private, research university|
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh Abdul Hamid|
|Campus||Urban, 665,000 sq ft (61,800 m2)|
Navy Blue, White and Dodger Blue
|Sports||Football and Cricket|
North South University (Bengali: নর্থ সাউথ বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় [nortʰ sautʰ biʃʃobiddalɔe̯], also known as NSU) is the first privately funded university in Bangladesh. Its business school is also the first in Bangladesh to receive American accreditation from the ACBSP in 2015.
The government of Bangladesh approved the establishment of North South University in 1992 under the Private University Act (PUA) 1992 (now replaced by PUA 2010). The university was formally inaugurated on 10 February 1993.
The North South University ranked 301-500 in the "Graduate Employability Ranking 2020" published by the higher education information service provider Quacquarelli Symonds (QS). The ranking indicates how well students from a university can gain a foothold on the global job market. This year (2019), NSU is among the top 2 in Bangladesh, and one of the top 500 universities on an international scale. The university ranked 301-350 in the "Asian University Rankings"  published by QS World University Rankings. It is also ranked 1st among the private universities and 4th among all the universities in research output on the Bangladesh University Ranking 2019.
- 1 Campus
- 2 Academic departments
- 3 Institutes
- 4 NSU Student Clubs
- 5 International Organizations
- 6 Publications
- 7 Controversies
- 8 References
- 9 Further reading
- 10 External links
The university's campus is located at Bashundhara in Dhaka. It is the largest private university in Bangladesh, in terms of student population and 2nd largest in terms of campus size after American International University-Bangladesh (AIUB). The foundation of the campus was laid on 30 January 2003 by Begum Khaleda Zia. Classes started in the permanent campus from 9 June 2009.
This campus can serve up to 20,000 students with amenities and facilities. It contains six buildings with three basements on six acres of land having 665,000 square feet of floorspace.
List of vice-chancellors
- Muslehuddin Ahmad
- Hafiz Siddiqi (3 January 2003 – 2010)
- Professor Atique Islam (2016–present)
The NSU library has over 70,000 square feet (6,500 m2) floor area on the southeastern side of the campus. It is the first fully automated university library in Bangladesh using its own library management software, which supports RFID system, web-based online circulation system, full-text e-books and online journal article repository services. The library can accommodate over 1,200 students in its reading rooms. On average 2,000 students use the library every day.
As of August 2014, the library holds 49,500 books, 50,000 online books, 6,000 bound journals (Foreign and local) and magazines, 1,890 CD-ROM databases and books, 226 DVD and videos, 159 audio-cassettes, and other resources.
School of Business and Economics (SBE)
The School of Business and Economics (SBE) at North South University is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). It is the first Business school in Bangladesh to receive American accreditation. The School of Business and Economics (SBE) consists of four departments.
- Department of Accounting & Finance
- Department of Economics
- Department of Management
- Department of Marketing & International Business
School of Engineering & Physical Sciences
The School of Engineering & Physical Sciences (SEPS) intends to be a center of excellence in innovation and technological entrepreneurship by building a knowledge and skill based learning environment for students in the field of engineering, architecture and physical sciences with adequate technical competency, social responsibility, communication skill and ethical standard. The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering have three majors in undergraduate programs.
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering 
School of Humanities & Social Sciences
- Department of English & Modern Languages
- Department of History & Philosophy
- Department of Law
- Department of Political Science & Sociology
School of Health & Life Sciences
- Department of Biochemistry & Microbiology
- Department of Environmental Science and Management
- Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Department of Public Health
NSU has four institutes and one center
Institute of Development, Environment and Strategic Studies (IDESS)
NSU Global Health Institute (NGHI)
The NSU Global Health Institute (NGHI) at NSU was established NGHI for discovery and competency development of human welfare aiming to build strengthen the emerging field of global health response and leadership.
NSU Genome Research Institute (NGRI)
The NSU Genome Research Institute (NGRI) at NSU was established NGI for discovery and competency development of human welfare aiming to build strengthen the emerging field of genomic research field leadership, which is the first genomic research institute in Bangladesh.
NSU Student Clubs
School of Business and Economics (SBE)
- Finance Club
- Human Resources Club
- International Business Club
- Marketing Club
- MBA Club
- Young Economists Forum
- Young Entrepreneurs Society
School of Humanities & Social Sciences (SHSS)
- Communications Club
- Diversity Club
- Law and Mooting Society
- Model UN Club
School of Health & Life Sciences (SHLS)
- Earth Club
- Public Health & Sciences Club
- Pharmaceutical Club
- Bio Sc. Club (Proposed)
School of Engineering & Physical Sciences (SEPS)
- Art & Photography Club
- Computer & Engineering Club
Extra Curricular Clubs
- Athletics Club
- Cine & Drama Club
- Debate Club
- Ethics Club
- Sangskritkik Sangathan
- Social Services Club
IEEE NSU Student Branch
IEEE is the world's largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity.
IEEE NSU Student Branch is dedicated to promoting technological progress, innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity. We are a technical subunit of IEEE NSU Student Branch societies which associates with valuable resources available from the IEEE NSU Student Branch. We are North South University's only internationally recognized student organization for Engineers and computer scientists. It provides an opportunity for student members to begin networking in their areas of interest and future profession. A group of enthusiasts was brought together and entrusted upon the thriving vision to form an active and successful student chapter of IEEE NSU SB. We envision to serve, inspire and get inspired to change our community and cultivate our fellow engineers in their relative engineering fields through interactive learning, various projects/workshops, technical visits and field trips that will help them to gain a better understanding of the professional environment and technical progress and enable their careers.
NSU ACM Student Chapter
NSU ACMSC is the only ACM Student Chapter in Bangladesh to get official recognition from ACM.
The NSU ACM Student Chapter has hosted some important events such as NSU Capstone program and Inter University Programming Contest (IUPC).
NSU Problem Solving Community is an affiliated community of NSU ACMSC.
NSU International City/County Management Association Student Chapter
NSU ICMA Student Chapter is officially accredited from ICMA.
ICMA provides education and networking opportunities for its members, and offers the Credentialed Manager program to offer professional credentialing to city and county executive managers. It also conducts research, provides technical assistance and training, and promotes professional local government management. The chapter have an event in collaboration with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). 
The university publishes a journal called Panini.
- Corruption allegation: In 2012, University Grants Commission found some instances of corruption of universities trustee board's chairman. So, the education ministry dissolved the trustee board. One of trustee member's was charged with corruption.
- Students involved militancy: In 2016, some former students and faculties were found to have links with militant activities. Some of them were involved in violent armed assault.
Investigators found printed materials published by militant groups in library.
UGC had suggested measures to curb the involvement by students attendance tracking, online monitoring by guardians and student participation in social activities.
- "NSU in brief". North South University.
- "Annual Report 2017". University Grants Commission. Archived from the original on 2017.
- "NSU receives ACBSP Certificate". Daily Sun (Press release). 22 June 2016.
- "Graduate Employability Rankings 2020".
- "North South University".
- "Private University Rankings 2019: North South number one". Dhaka Tribune.
- "Bangladesh University Ranking 2019". Webometrics. 2019.
- "New Campus Foundation Stone Laying Ceremony". Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 2 March 2010.
- "NSU commences classes at the new campus". Archived from the original on 27 May 2010. Retrieved 2 March 2010.
- "NSU holds Fall 2009 orientation Ceremony at its own campus". Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 2 March 2010.
- "Dr Siddiqi, NSU vice-chancellor". The Daily Star. 3 January 2003. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "In a Nutshell". The Daily Star. 2 August 2014. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Use of ICT in Libraries: An Empirical Study of Selected Libraries in Bangladesh". Retrieved 7 March 2010.
- "Library Automation in Bangladesh: The Dhaka University Library Experiences". Retrieved 7 March 2010.
- NSU Library. "Library At a glance". Retrieved 2 March 2010.
- "North South University". Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs.
- "Electrical and Computer Engineering".
- "Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Engineering".
- "Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Electronic Engineering".
- "ETE Course Module".
- "IDESS". North South University.
- "NSU Global Health Institute (NGHI): About Us". North South University.
- "Confucius Institute in Bangladesh cements relations". Retrieved 1 March 2010.
- "Problem Solving Community". Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering.
- "International Conference on Rohingya Crisis in Bangladesh 2019". North South University.
- PANINI. "Panini: NSU Studies in Language & Literature". Archived from the original on 9 June 2010. Retrieved 21 January 2009.
- "UGC Found NSU Chairman Guilty of Irregularities & Corruption". Eduicon. Retrieved 1 August 2016.
- Ali, Imran (30 July 2016). "NSU, what's going on?". The Asian Age. Retrieved 1 August 2016.
- "Govt alert about goings-on in North South University, says Nahid". bdnews24.com. 10 July 2016.
- "Bangladesh Says It Now Knows Who's Killing the Bloggers". The New York Times. 8 June 2016.
- "Terrorism: UGC team visits Dhaka's North South University". bdnews24.com. 14 July 2016.
- "NSU students under surveillance". Dhaka Tribune. 15 July 2016. Archived from the original on 26 August 2017.
- "North South University to hold 'Cybernauts 2016'". The Daily Star. 11 July 2016.
- Ali, Imran (30 July 2016). "NSU, what's going on?". The Asian Age.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to North South University.|