North South University
|নর্থ সাউথ বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়|
|Motto||Center of Excellence in Higher Education|
|Chancellor||Abdul Hamid, President of Bangladesh|
|907 (including 449 impermanent/adjunct faculty)|
|Campus||Urban, 665,000 sqft|
|Colors||Blue and white|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission, Bangladesh|
North South University (Bengali: নর্থসাউথ বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) or NSU is the first private university of Bangladesh. The government of Bangladesh approved the establishment of North South University in 1992 under the Private University Act (PUA) 1992 (now replaced by PUA 2010). The university was formally inaugurated on February 10, 1993 by the Prime Minister of Bangladesh.
NSU has the authority, under its Charter, to impart instruction and confer undergraduate and graduate degrees in all branches of arts, business and sciences, including engineering, agriculture, law and medicine. It also has the authority to grant diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions. Currently, NSU offers bachelor's and master's degrees in 29 subjects (15 bachelor's degrees and 14 master's degrees). Additional programs including PhD in different subjects are under preparation.
- 1 Campus
- 2 Academics
- 3 Student activity clubs
- 4 Publications
- 5 Controversies
- 6 References
- 7 Further reading
- 8 External links
This campus can serve up to 20,000 students with amenities and facilities. It contains six buildings with three basements on six acres of land having 665,000 square feet of floorspace.
The Board of Trustees includes notable industrialists: M.A. Kashem (current Chairman), Azim Uddin Ahmed, M.A. Hashem, Ragib Ali, Iftekharul Alam, M.A. Awal, Abul Kashem, A.S.F Rahman and Rehana Rahman amongst others.
List of Vice-Chancellors
The NSU library has six floors with over 70,000 square feet (6,500 m2) floor area on the southeastern side of the campus. It is the first fully automated university library in Bangladesh using its own library management software, which supports RFID system, web-based online circulation system, full-text e-books and online journal article repository services. The library can accommodate over 1,200 students in its reading rooms. On average 2,000 students use the library every day.
As of August 2014, the library holds 49,500 books, 50,000 online books, 6,000 bound journals (Foreign and local) and magazines, 1,890 CD-ROM databases and books, 226 DVD and videos, 159 audio-cassettes, and other resources. It subscribes to 20 local journals, 18 foreign and 19 local magazines, two foreign dailies and most of the leading national dailies published from Dhaka. The NSU library is the pioneer of subscribing online journals and MyAthens in Bangladesh. It started subscription to online journals with JSTOR, IEEE, ACM Digital library and 39 titles of online journals for the first time in 2002. After that the other libraries started subscription to online journals in the country. Now it has access to 40,000 online journals of 52 publishers including Ebsco, Emerald, Blackwell, JSTOR, ACM, Oxford University Press, Wiley, Springer, ASCE and other major databases.
The university's ten departments are organized into four schools.
- School of Business and Economics(Accredited By ACBSP)
- Department of Accounting & Finance
- Department of Economics
- Department of Management
- Department of Marketing & International Business
- School of Engineering & Physical Sciences
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Department of Mathematics and Physics
- School of Humanities & Social Sciences
- Department of English & Modern Languages
- Department of History & Philosophy
- Department of Law
- Department of Political Science & Sociology
- School of Health & Life Sciences
- Department of Biochemistry & Microbiology
- Department of Environmental Science and Management
- Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Department of Public Health
North South University is accredited by the University Grants Commission (UGC). The university's School of Business and Economics was accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) in November 2015.
NSU has four institutes and one center:
- Institute of Modern Language
- Institute of Development, Environment and Strategic Studies (IDESS)
- Confucius Institute: The Confucius Institute at NSU was established in February 2006, the only language institute in Bangladesh which offers Chinese-language only education. Some 600 students have been enrolled and nearly 100 Bangladeshis are learning Chinese at the Institute now.
- Center for Information & Communication Technology (CICT)
- North South University Global Health Institute (NGHI)
Student activity clubs
- Shangskritik Shangathan (SS) 
- Social Services Club (SSC) 
- Cine & Drama Club (CDC)
- Earth Club 
- English Club
- Life Sciences Club
- CANVASS Club
- Computer & Engineering Club(CEC) 
- Debate Club
- Finance Club
- Games and Sports Club
- Model UN Club (MUN)
- Photography Club
- Pharmaceutical Club
- Society of Science Engineering & Technology Club
- The Marketing Club (TMC)
- Human Resource Club
- Ethics Club
- Communications Club
- Diversity Club
- International Business Club
- Young Economists' Forum (YEF)
- Young Entrepreneurs Society (YES)
- MBA Club
- IEEE NSU Student Branch  IEEE is the world's largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. IEEE, pronounced "Eye-triple-E," stands for the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. IEEE NSU Student Branch falls under the IEEE Bangladesh section of IEEE Region 10 (Asia Pacific Region). It was established in 2013 here at North South University. The student branch plays a prominent role in promoting and organizing seminars, workshops and competitions related to the field of engineering and technology to help young minds engage in engineering activities. Our goal is to serve, inspire, and get inspired to change our community and cultivate our fellow engineers to gain a better understanding of the professional environment and technical progress and enable their careers. The IEEE NSU Student Branch promotes and recruits new members at the beginning of every semester at North South University helping the student branch expand in numbers. The IEEE NSU Student Branch wishes to expand their numbers higher in order to promote engineering and technology across more students across the university campus.
NSU Sports & Fitness Center
NSU Sports & Fitness Center with Multipurpose Gym, Basketball Court & Gallery located at student amenities area for students, faculty and staff members. The Sports & Fitness Center are staffed with trained Fitness Associates and Fitness Supervisors to ensure the safety of participants and assist in basic exercise selection or performing exercise that may need to be spotted.
The university publishes a journal called Panini.
In 2012, University Grants Commission probe body has found a numerous instances of corruption of the universities' trustee board's chairman M Shahjahan. As a result, the education ministry dissolved the trustee board. Bangladesh Nationalist Party politician Abul Hashem, one of the trustee members, was charged with corruption by Anti Corruption Commission during caretaker government.
Students involved militancy
In 2016, North South University came under government surveillance after some of its students and faculties were found to have links with militant activities. Students of the university were involved with at least four militant attacks in Bangladesh. The University Grants Commission has suggested several measures to curb student involvement with militant groups. These include attendance tracking, online monitoring by parents and guardians of course loads and grades, and greater student participation in university social activities.
- "Private Higher Education in Bangladesh, UNESCO Research Paper" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-03-07.
- "New Campus Foundation Stone Laying Ceremony". Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "NSU commences classes at the new campus". Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "NSU holds Fall 2009 orientation Ceremony at its own campus". Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "Use of ICT in Libraries: An Empirical Study of Selected Libraries in Bangladesh". Retrieved 2010-03-07.
- "Library Automation in Bangladesh: The Dhaka University Library Experiences". Retrieved 2010-03-07.
- NSU Library. "Library At a glance". Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "NSU Business School achieved American accreditation". Daily Sun. Dhaka. 28 November 2015.
- "Confucius Institute in Bangladesh cements relations". Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- PANINI. "Panini: NSU STUDIES IN LANGUAGE & LITERATURE". Retrieved 2009-01-21.
- "UGC Found NSU Chairman Guilty of Irregularities & Corruption". Eduicon. Eduicon. Retrieved 1 August 2016.
- Ali, Imran (30 July 2016). "NSU, what's going on?". The Asian Age. The Asian Age. Retrieved 1 August 2016.
- "'Govt alert about goings-on in North South University, says Nahid'". bdnews24.com. July 10, 2016.
- "'Bangladesh Says It Now Knows Who's Killing the Bloggers'". The New York Times. June 8, 2016.
- "'Terrorism: UGC team visits Dhaka's North South University'". bdnews24.com. July 14, 2016.
- "'Killed Sholakia attacker identified as NSU student'". Dhaka Tribune. July 10, 2016.
- "NSU students under surveillance". Dhaka Tribune. July 15, 2016.
- "North South University to hold 'Cybernauts 2016'". The Daily Star. 11 July 2016.
- Ali, Imran (30 July 2016). "NSU, what's going on?". The Asian Age.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to North South University.|