North South University
Seal of the North South University
|Chancellor||Abdul Hamid, President of Bangladesh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Amin U Sarkar|
|Colors||Blue and white|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission, Bangladesh|
North South University (Bengali: নর্থসাউথ বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) or NSU is the first private university of Bangladesh. The government of Bangladesh approved the establishment of North South University in 1992 under the Private University Act (PUA) 1992 (now replaced by PUA 2010). The university was formally inaugurated on 10 February 1993 by the Prime Minister of Bangladesh.
This campus serves 4,000 to 12,000 students with amenities and facilities. It contains six buildings with three basements on six acres of land having 125,000 square feet of floorspace.
The NSU library has six floors with over 70,000 square feet (6,500 m2) floor area on the southeastern side of the campus. It is the first fully automated university library in Bangladesh using its own library management software, which supports RFID system, web-based online circulation system, full-text e-books and online journal article repository services. The library can accommodate over 1,200 students in its reading rooms. On average 2,000 students use the library everyday.
As of August 2014, the library holds 49,500 books, 50,000 online books, 6,000 bound journals (Foreign and local) and magazines, 1,890 CD-ROM databases and books, 226 DVD and videos, 159 audio-cassettes, and other resources. It subscribes to 20 local journals, 18 foreign and 19 local magazines, two foreign dailies and most of the leading national dailies published from Dhaka. The NSU library is the pioneer of subscribing online journals and MyAthens in Bangladesh. It started subscription to online journals with JSTOR, IEEE, ACM Digital library and 39 titles of online journals in various disciplines for the first time in 2002. After that the other libraries started subscription to online journals in the country. Now it has access over 40,000 online journals of 52 publishers including Ebsco, Emerald, Blackwell, JSTOR, ACM, Oxford University Press, Wiley, Springer,ASCE and other major databases.
The university's 10 departments are organized into 4 schools. The School of Business is one of the largest and most renowned Business schools of Bangladesh. It offers bachelor's and master's degrees in several different disciplines.
- School of Business and Economics
- Department of Accounting & Finance
- Department of Economics
- Department of Management
- Department of Marketing & International Business
- School of Engineering & Physical Sciences
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Department of Mathematics and Physics
- School of Humanities & Social Sciences
- Department of English & Modern Languages
- Department of History & Philosophy
- Department of Law
- Department of Political Science & Sociology
- School of Health & Life Sciences
- Department of Biology & Chemistry
- Department of Environmental Science and Management
- Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Department of Public Health
NSU has three institutes and one center:
- Institute of Modern Language
- Institute of Development, Environment and Strategic Studies (IDESS)
- Confucius Institute: The Confucius Institute at NSU was established in February 2006, the only language institute in Bangladesh which offers Chinese-language only education. Some 600 students have been enrolled and nearly 100 Bangladeshis are learning Chinese at the Institute now.
- Center for Information & Communication Technology (CICT)
Student activity clubs
- North South University Shangskritik Shangathan (SS)
- NSU Social Services Club (SSC)
- NSU Cine & Drama Club (CDC)
- NSU Earth Club
- NSU English Club
- NSU Life Sciences Club
- NSU CANVASS Club
- NSU Computer Club
- NSU Debate Club
- NSU Finance Club
- NSU Games and Sports Club
- NSU Model UN Club (MUN)
- NSU Photography Club
- NSU Pharmacy Students' Club
- NSU Society of Science Engineering & Technology Club
- NSU Marketing Club (TMC)
- NSU Human Resource Club
- NSU Ethics Club
- NSU Communication Club
- NSU Diversity Club
- NSU International Club
- NSU Young Economists' Forum (YEF)
- NSU Young Entrepreneurs Society (YES)
- NSU MBA Club
The university publishes a journal called Panini.
- "Private Higher Education in Bangladesh, UNESCO Research Paper" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-03-07.
- "New Campus Foundation Stone Laying Ceremony". Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "NSU commences classes at the new campus". Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "NSU holds Fall 2009 orientation Ceremony at its own campus". Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "Use of ICT in Libraries: An Empirical Study of Selected Libraries in Bangladesh". Retrieved 2010-03-07.
- "Library Automation in Bangladesh: The Dhaka University Library Experiences". Retrieved 2010-03-07.
- NSU Library. "Library At a glance". Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "Confucius Institute in Bangladesh cements relations". Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- "North South University Computer Club - NSUCC". nsucc.org.
- PANINI. "Panini: NSU STUDIES IN LANGUAGE & LITERATURE". Retrieved 2009-01-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to North South University.|