North Star Academy Charter School
|North Star Academy Charter School of Newark|
|Newark, New Jersey|
|Authority||Uncommon Schools, Inc.
New Jersey Department of Education
|Enrollment||3,403 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.9:1|
North Star Academy Charter School of Newark is a charter school located in Newark, New Jersey, in Essex County, New Jersey, United States, that educates students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. The school was recognized by the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program in 2010.
In 2004, North Star Academy College Preparatory High School graduated its first senior class consisting of 19 students, all of whom were accepted into accredited four-year universities.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 3,403 students and 284.8 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.9:1. There were 2,381 students (70.0% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 475 (14.0% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
North Star Academy has 13 campuses: six elementary schools, five middle schools (Clinton Hill, Vailsburg, Central Avenue, Downtown and West Side Park) and two high schools (Washington Park and Lincoln Park).
Awards and recognition
Schooldigger.com ranked the school as one of 16 schools tied for first out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 38 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the language arts literacy (100.0%) and mathematics (100.0%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
In 2014, NSA High School principal Michael Mann received the Ryan Award for best urban principal in the country, one of three principals nationwide to be recognized by the Accelerate Institute.
Due to North Star Academy's success in urban district areas other schools have adopted some of their ideas in managing challenging students and have even modeled themselves after it. One such school is Foundation Academy Charter School located in Trenton, New Jersey which was established in 2007.
The North Star Academy Knights compete athletically under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 342 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as North II, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 73 to 487 students in that grade range.
- "North Star Academy". greatschools.net. Retrieved 2008-03-19.
- School data for North Star Academy Charter Schools Of Newark, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- North Star Academy Charter, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 31, 2016.
- Newman, Maria. "Newark School Shows Off Educational Approach", The New York Times, March 30, 2000. Accessed March 28, 2015.
- Campuses, North Star Academy Charter School of Newark. Accessed January 5, 2017.
- 2010 Blue Ribbon Schools All Public and Private, United States Department of Education. Accessed June 26, 2011.
- North Star Academy Charter School of Newark, 2010 - Blue Ribbon Schools Program application, United States Department of Education. Accessed June 26, 2011.
- Mathews, Jay. "The High School Challenge 2011: North Star", The Washington Post. Accessed July 24, 2011.
- "North Star Academy CS Of Newark". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved March 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed February 23, 2012.
- McGlone, Peggy. "Newark charter school principal honored with national leadership award", The Star-Ledger, June 3, 2014. Accessed August 23, 2014.
- Colon, Rose Y. (April 20, 2007). "This school aims to break all the rules". The Times (Trenton). pp. A06.
To serve Newark children by building an uncommon school where students partake of a rigorous, 11-month, extended day, academic program that gives them the means to beat the odds in school and life.
- North Star Academy Charter, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed March 28, 2015.
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.