North Star Games
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Industry||Games (Board Games)|
|Founded||2003, College Park, Maryland|
|Dominic Crapuchettes, Founder & Co-President;
Satish Pillalamarri, Co-President
|Website||North Star Games Home|
North Star Games is a board game company based in Bethesda, Maryland.
Dominic Crapuchettes grew up designing and inventing board games since he was 9 years old. He fulfilled his lifelong goal of starting a board game company in 2003 while attending Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland, College Park. MBA classmate Satish Pillalamarri joined the company full-time after graduation in 2004. Crapuchettes and Pillalamarri raised money from friends, family and even faculty to fund the first run of Cluzzle board games. In time more games followed and North Star board games began to appear on the shelves of specialty gaming stores and even Target Corporation. When it came time to name the venture, founder Dominic Crapuchettes chose the name 'North Star' in reference to a stormy night off the coast of Alaska when the salmon fishing boat he was piloting lost electrical power and Crapuchettes was forced to use the North Star to guide the boat safely home. On that night, Dominic vowed to quit fishing and start the board game company that he had dreamed about since childhood. Wits & Wagers was included on many ‘Best Games of Year’ lists in 2007. The game was also awarded the ‘Best New Party Game’ by Games Magazine. Time Magazine highlighted Wits & Wagers as a “Lively trivia game” in a profile of games they determined as board game entertainment “beyond Monopoly”. North Star Games’ newest game, Say Anything, has been called, “A party game that appeals even to those who claim to hate party games.”
- Cluzzle (2003): Family clay game where the object is to sculpt poorly.
- Wits & Wagers (2006): Party trivia game where you can bet on the answers of other players.
- Say Anything (2008): Opinion game designed to get people talking and laughing.
- Evolution (2014): A card-based strategy game where players try to evolve their species to out-compete other players in the quest for food.
Notes and references
- McLoone, Sharon (2007-10-30). "North Star Aims to Shoot the Moon". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2009-03-06.
- Tianen, Dave (2004-11-20). "Not playin' with game choices". The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved 2009-03-06.
- "2007 Games of the Year and Other Awards". Games Magazine. 2007. Retrieved 2009-03-06.
- Caplan, Jeremy (2006-04-02). "Beyond Monopoly". Time Magazine. Retrieved 2009-03-06.
- Baldwin, Matthew (2008-11-25). "The 2008 Good Gift Games". The Morning News. Retrieved 2009-03-06.
- "Evolution by North Star Games - Kickstarter". Kickstarter. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to North Star Games.|