North Star Township, St. Louis County, Minnesota
|North Star Township, Minnesota|
|• Total||35.6 sq mi (92.1 km2)|
|• Land||33.3 sq mi (86.3 km2)|
|• Water||2.3 sq mi (5.9 km2)|
|Elevation||1,450 ft (442 m)|
|• Density||5.3/sq mi (2.1/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0665171|
Pequaywan Lake Road (Saint Louis County Road 44) serves as a main route in the township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.6 square miles (92 km2); 33.3 square miles (86 km2) is land and 2.3 square miles (6.0 km2), or 6.41%, is water.
The Cloquet River flows through the western portion of North Star Township.
The following are adjacent to North Star Township :
- Normanna Township (south)
- Alden Township (east)
- Pequaywan Township (northeast)
- Duluth Township (southeast)
- Gnesen Township (west and southwest)
- Marion Lake Unorganized Territory (north)
The northern portion of North Star Township is located within the Cloquet Valley State Forest.
As of the census of 2000, there were 203 people, 74 households, and 58 families residing in the township. The population density was 6.1 people per square mile (2.4/km²). There were 135 housing units at an average density of 4.1/sq mi (1.6/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.04% White, 0.99% Native American, 0.49% Asian, and 1.48% from two or more races.
There were 74 households out of which 29.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.9% were married couples living together, 6.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.6% were non-families. 16.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.74 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the township the population was spread out with 25.6% under the age of 18, 4.9% from 18 to 24, 26.1% from 25 to 44, 34.0% from 45 to 64, and 9.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females, there were 116.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 118.8 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $51,875, and the median income for a family was $61,250. Males had a median income of $50,625 versus $23,125 for females. The per capita income for the township was $19,640. About 5.6% of families and 8.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under the age of eighteen and 25.0% of those sixty five or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), North Star township, St. Louis County, Minnesota". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved October 26, 2011.