North Warren Regional High School
|North Warren Regional School District|
|10 Noe Road
Blairstown, NJ 07825
|Business administrator||Christopher Heagele|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||911 (as of 2014-15)|
|District Factor Group||FG|
|North Warren Regional High School|
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||"Students of Today, Leaders of Tomorrow"|
|Vice principal||Lou Sylvester|
|Athletics conference||Skyland Conference|
North Warren Regional High School is a public high school and regional school district, located in Warren County, New Jersey, United States, that serves students in seventh grade through twelfth grade from the four constituent townships of Blairstown (where the school is located), Frelinghuysen, Hardwick and Knowlton. The school opened in September 1970, replacing the former Blairstown High School. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1984.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 911 students and 86.6 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 10.5:1. There were 65 students (7.1% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 30 (3.3% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "FG", the fourth-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 87th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 115th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 138th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 194th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 167th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school 156th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 47 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (80.8%) and language arts literacy (95.5%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The Marching Patriots
North Warren is especially known for their award-winning marching band. The North Warren Marching band won the United States Scholastic Band Association (USSBA) Group 2A Championships in the Fall 2000 Season with their show, "The Art of War". During the 2005 season the band earned 3rd in the state championships along with the state color guard title. In 2007 the Marching Band became State Champions in group III A. In their 2007 competition season, the Marching Band earned 1st place in New Jersey for group 3A. In their 2008 competition season, the Marching Band earned 3rd place at the USSBA Group 3A championships held at Hershey, Pennsylvania on November 2, 2008. In their 2009 competition season, the Marching band earned 1st place in New Jersey for group 3A, winning the caption awards for Best Music and Best Visual Effect, as well as taking best in show. In their 2010 competition season, the Marching band earned 1st place in New Jersey for group 3A, again.
In 2013, the band had an undefeated season, finishing 7-0 and earned first place in New Jersey group 3A state championship held at Rutgers University. The band also earned the title of 2013 Division 3A National Champions at Metlife Stadium, receiving an all-time high record score of 96.425.
Aurora Indoor Color Guard
From 1989 to 1994 North Warren Regional High School was also home to the award-winning Aurora Indoor Color Guard. Aurora began as a Scholastic Novice guard in the TIDA circuit, moving up to a Scholastic Intermediate guard in 1992, and moving up to a Scholastic Advanced guard in 1993. Also in 1993, performing to "I Melt With You" by Modern English, Aurora placed 8th in the world at the WGI World Championships in Dayton, Ohio as a WGI Scholastic A class Finalist. In May 1994, the Aurora indoor color guard performed for the last time, in Wildwood, New Jersey.
The North Warren Regional High School Patriots compete in the Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 481 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as North I, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 495 to 762 students in that grade range.
The boys' soccer team won the Group I state championship in 2002 for the first time ever with a win over Arthur P. Schalick High School by a score of 4-3 in overtime in the tournament final. The following year, North Warren again met Schalick in the 2003 Group I state championship and won 2-0 at the end of regulation. In 2004, North Warren made it to the state championship game for the third time in a row again meeting Schalick but fell short and lost 2-1 at the end of regulation.
The wrestling team won the North I Group I state sectional championship in 2006 and 2007.
- Sarah Bilotti, Superintendent
- Christopher Heagele, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- Ms. Susan Kappler, Interim Principal
- Lou Sylvester, Vice-Principal
- School data for North Warren Regional School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- North Warren Regional High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 21, 2015.
- North Warren Regional High School 2014 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed June 7, 2016. "The North Warren Regional School District is home to approximately 950 students from the communities of Blairstown, Frelinghuysen, Hardwick, and Knowlton. The district stretches almost 97 square miles from the Sussex County border to the Delaware River and the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area.".
- Home Page, North Warren Regional School District. Accessed November 22, 2014. "North Warren Regional is a public secondary school district, serving students in grades 7-12 in the townships of Blairstown, Frelinghuysen, Hardwick, and Knowlton."
- Municipal Guide to Public School Districts 2014, Warren County, New Jersey. Accessed March 21, 2015.
- North Warren Regional High School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools. Accessed February 4, 2012.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed November 22, 2014.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 9, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 16, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- RECAP USSBA - NEW JERSEY state championship 1A AT PARLIN, NJ, USSBA, October 25, 2009. Accessed February 4, 2012.
- RECAP USSBA - NEW JERSEY state championshipS 1A, 3A, 6A PART 2 AT UNION, NJ, USSBA, October 24, 2010. Accessed February 4, 2012.
- League Memberships – 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 31, 2016.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- 2016 - 2018 Co‐Operative Sports Programs, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Narducci, Marc. "Schalick boys come up short in final The Cougars lost, 2-0, to North Warren in a replay of last year's Group 1 state soccer championship.", The Philadelphia Inquirer, November 23, 2003. Accessed November 8, 2016. "The Cougars' season ended yesterday with a 2-0 loss to North Warren in the state Group 1 championship game at Kean University.Schalick completed its season 21-2-1, the same record it posted last season. The Cougars' season ended for the second straight year with a loss to talented North Warren (17-3-1).... Last year, Schalick fell, 4-3, in overtime, despite dominating play."
- 2015 NJSIAA Soccer Championship Program, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 8, 2016.
- History of the NJSIAA Team Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 8, 2017.
- Administration, North Warren Regional School District. Accessed November 21, 2015.
- New Jersey School Directory for Warren County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- North Warren Regional High School
- North Warren Regional High School's 2015–16 School Performance Report from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the North Warren Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics
- North Warren Regional High School Marching Band