North West Leicestershire
|North West Leicestershire District|
Shown within Leicestershire
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|• Type||North West Leicestershire District Council|
|• Leadership:||Leader & Cabinet|
|• MP:||Andrew Bridgen (Con)|
|• Total||107.8 sq mi (279.3 km2)|
|Population (mid-2014 est.)|
|• Rank||Ranked 248th|
|• Density||890/sq mi (340/km2)|
|Time zone||Greenwich Mean Time (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||British Summer Time (UTC+1)|
|ONS code||31UH (ONS)
North West Leicestershire is a local government district in Leicestershire, England. The population of the Local Authority at the 2011 census was 93,348. Its main towns are Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Coalville.
The district contains East Midlands Airport, which operates flights to the rest of Britain and to various places in Europe. It is also notable as the location of Castle Donington and Donington Park, a grand-prix circuit and a major venue for music festivals.
The area has a long history of mineral extraction, with coal, brick clay, gravel and granite amongst the products. All the deep coal mines in the area have closed, but opencast mining still continues.
The district was formed in 1974 by a merger of Ashby de la Zouch Urban District, Ashby Woulds Urban District, Coalville Urban District, Ashby de la Zouch Rural District, Castle Donington Rural District and Ibstock from the Market Bosworth Rural District.
Like many other shire districts, authority over North West Leicestershire is shared between the district council and the county council. Areas of responsibility of the district council include local planning, building control, council housing, refuse collection, recycling, and some leisure services and parks.
The district council is currently controlled by 38 councillors who are elected every four years; the last election took place in May 2015 and saw the Conservatives hold on to control with an increased majority of 12 seats. The current political make-up of the council is as follows:
|Political party||Seats||Current Council (2015–2020)|
The council has a five-member executive known as the Cabinet which is made up of councillors who have special responsibilities and power. As the Conservatives won overall control of the council in 2007, they hold all of the seats on the cabinet.
|Leader of the Council||Cllr Richard Blunt||Appleby|
|Deputy Leader||Cllr Alison Smith||Daleacre Hill|
|Portfolio Holder for Community Services|
|Portfolio Holder for Housing||Cllr Roger Bayliss||Ashby Holywell|
|Portfolio Holder for Business||Cllr Tony Gillard||Holly Hayes|
|Portfolio Holder for Regeneration and Planning||Cllr Trevor Pendleton||Kegworth|
|Corporate Portfolio Holder||Cllr Nicholas Rushton||Long Whatton and Diseworth|
- Appleby Magna, Acresford, Ashby Woulds, Ashby-de-la-Zouch,
- Bardon, Belton, Breedon on the Hill
- Castle Donington, Charley, Chilcote, Coleorton
- Ellistown and Battleflat
- Heather, Hugglescote and Donington le Heath
- Isley cum Langley
- Lockington cum Hemington, Long Whatton
- Normanton le Heath
- Oakthorpe and Donisthorpe, Osgathorpe
- Ravenstone with Snibston
- Snarestone, Staunton Harold, Stretton en le Field, Swannington, Swepstone
Since 2013 Norton Motorcycles has its head office in Donington Hall, Castle Donington. BMI (British Midland), an airline, was headquartered in Donington Hall. The airline moved its headquarters to Donington Hall in 1982. The subsidiary bmibaby also had its head office in Donington Hall.
Prior to its disestablishment, Excalibur Airways had its head office on the grounds of East Midlands Airport in Castle Donington. Prior to its disestablishment, Orion Airways had its head office on the grounds of East Midlands Airport.
In 2011 Coalfield Resources plc were given permission to development an opencast coal mining pit on the site of the former Minorca colliery on the outskirts of Measham in the seat which will be 1 mi (1.6 km) across and extract 1,250,000 tonnes (1,380,000 tons) of coal over five years, and 250,000 tonnes (280,000 tons) of clay. This will be one of three large mines all operated by main UK coal-extracting company.
- "Local Authority population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
- North West Leicestershire District Council election, 2015 results, North West Leicestershire District Council website
- Council makeup, North West Leicestershire District Council website
- Cabinet makeup, North West Leicestershire District Council website
- "Parish Map of North West Leicestershire". Leicestershire County Council. Retrieved 2008-12-10.
- The Wire (16 March 2013). "Historic Donington Hall to serve as Norton Motorcycles New World Headquarters and Manufacturing Facilities". Cycle World. Bonnier Corp. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
Where else in the world can one tour an 18th century Gothic Revival mansion, view a Norton Motorcycle being built, watch a World Superbike race and attend an Iron Maiden concert all in the same place?
- "Contact us." BMI. Accessed September 23, 2008.
- "the eighties." British Midland International. Retrieved on 28 December 2011.
- "Company Information." bmibaby. Retrieved on 31 December 2011. "Registered office - Donington Hall Castle Donington Derby East Midlands DE74 2SB UK"
- "World Airline Directory." Flight International. 24–30 March 1993. "91.
- "World Airline Directory." Flight International. 29 March 1986. 114.
- "Leicestershire opencast coal mine gains approval" BBC News