Northallerton West railway station
Northallerton West railway station on the loop at the western end of the Wensleydale Railway
|Operated by||Wensleydale Railway|
|Key dates||Opened 22 November 2014|
|Stations on heritage railways in the United Kingdom|
|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
|UK Railways portal|
In May 2014, Hambleton District Council agreed to provide £40,000 towards the estimated £51,000 cost of providing a temporary platform on land on the south-east side of Springwell Lane, Castle Hills, Northallerton, to establish a link between the Wensleydale Railway and the North Yorkshire town. A sum of £28,000 had already been spent by the heritage railway on upgrading the track from Leeming Bar.
Work started on the station's construction in October 2014, with the official opening taking place on 22 November 2014. The date also coincided with the restart of services from Scruton. The first train to arrive at the brand new station was a four-coach service hauled by HN Rail's Brush Type 4 Class 47 715 Poseidon in Fragonset livery.
The station, along with that at Scruton, was closed in August 2016 following a collision between a train and a car at a level crossing near Yafforth. It is hoped to re-open the line and station at a future date once work to upgrade the level crossing equipment is complete.
|Preceding station||Heritage railways||Following station|
The aim of the Wensleydale Railway in the long-term is to extend the line to Northallerton station and allow passengers to interchange with National Rail services. As this will require an agreement with Network Rail, the provision of the platform is an interim solution which will allow the track to be brought into more regular use whilst also bringing in extra income for the heritage railway.
- "Construction of a temporary railway platform at OS Field 8477 Yafforth Road Romanby North Yorkshire for Wensleydale Railway Plc" (PDF). Hambleton District Council. 25 April 2013. pp. 16–23. Retrieved 24 November 2014.
- "Grant to Wensleydale Railway Association" (PDF). Hambleton District Council. 6 May 2014. Retrieved 24 November 2014.
- Reed, James (30 April 2014). "Rural heritage railway set to restore services to county town" (PDF). Yorkshire Post. Retrieved 24 November 2014.
- Willis, Joe (31 October 2014). "Works starts on new rail platform". The Northern Echo. Retrieved 24 November 2014.
- Harris, Nigel, ed. (10–23 December 2014). "ECML link closer at trains return to Northallerton West". RAIL (763): 11.
- Flanagan, Emily (23 November 2014). "New platform resurrects rail link between Northallerton and Dales". The Northern Echo. Retrieved 24 November 2014.
- "New Platform Opens in Hambleton". Star Radio North East. 22 November 2014. Retrieved 24 November 2014.
- Nicholson, Peter (January 2015). "Class 47-hauled special opens Northallerton West station". Railway Magazine. 161 (1366): 90.
- Minting, Stuart. "Investigation launched after woman seriously hurt after car hit by train near Northallerton". The Northern Echo. Newsquest (North East) Ltd. Retrieved 3 April 2018.
- "Current Projects". Wensleydale Railway. Retrieved 3 April 2018.
|This article on a railway station in Yorkshire and the Humber is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|