Northampton Area High School
|Northampton Area High School|
|1619 Laubach Avenue, Northampton, Pennsylvania|
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Northampton Area School District|
|Athletics conference||Eastern Pennsylvania Conference|
|Principal||Mr. Robert Steckel|
|Assistant Principals||Ms. Kimberly Levin, Ms.Michelle Mooney, Mr. Michael Lopota|
|Website||Northampton Area School District Website|
The Northampton Area Senior High School is located in the Borough of Northampton. Enrollment is approximately 2000 students for 9th through 12th grades. The average graduating class is 480 students. The high school was recently renovated to help accommodate Northampton's growing population.
The High School offers programs of studies in Advanced Placement, Honors, College Preparatory, Applied Academics and Vocational/Technical studies through the Bethlehem Area Vocational-Technical School. Co-curricular activities round out academics and include Athletics, Band, Chess Team, Chorus, Debate, DECA, Drama, FBLA, French Club, Gay-Straight Alliance, German Club, Orchestra, Peer Helpers, Science Olympiad, Scholastic Scrimmage, Spanish Club, Student Council, and Yearbook. The DECA team is especially prominent at Northampton. There is also a school newspaper, called the "Koncrete Kourier." The Peer Helper program at the High School has received national recognition and numerous awards for its focus on assisting students with special needs. At-risk, alternative education, Student Assistance Program (SAP), and counseling services are provided at the secondary level.
The graduation rate for 2013-14 was 99%. Approximately 82% of Northampton graduates attend post-secondary institutions.
Northampton High School is widely known for having one of the best wrestling programs in the nation. Holding two national titles, seven PIAA state team championships and 21 individual state champions at various weight classes, Northampton is one of the leading schools in Pennsylvania state wrestling history.
Northampton High School competes in the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference in the District XI athletic division of the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association. The school's athletic teams are known as the "Konkrete Kids", which references Northampton's tradition as a large U.S. manufacturer of cement. The school is particularly well known for its successful wrestling program, which has periodically been ranked among the nation's best, and for its continuing football tradition with cross-town rival, Catasauqua High School. The tradition has been running for 92 years. The annual Turkey Day game is held on Thanksgiving. The Konkrete Kids have walked away victorious in the last Turkey Day game meeting and have a convincing lead in the series.
Northampton High School holds the record for the most Lehigh Valley Conference championships in girls tennis and wrestling. The school holds the fifth most Lehigh Valley Conference championships in all sports, behind Parkland High School, Emmaus High School, Easton Area High School and Allentown Central Catholic High School.
They were ranked #3 in the National Rankings for the 2008-2009 wrestling season.
PIAA state championships
- Girls softball: 1996
- Wrestling: 1993, 1994, 1995, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2004
- Boys Swimming: 1993
District XI championships
- Baseball: 1938, 1963, 1968, 1982, 1986, 1989, 1997
- Boys Basketball: 1937, 1972
- Girls Basketball: 1995, 1997, 2010, 2011
- Girls Cross Country: 1987
- Golf. 2012
- Softball: 1979, 1985, 1986, 1996, 2013
- Girls Tennis: 2003, 2004
- Wrestling: 1953, 1988, 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2008
- Ping Pong: 2000, 2001
Eastern Conference Champions
- Football: 2006
- Ice Hockey: 2000, 2003, 2008, 2013
- Jim Druckenmiller, former professional football player, Indianapolis Colts, Miami Dolphins, San Francisco 49ers
- Dennis Onkotz, 3-time All-American linebacker, two-time First Team Penn State University, pioneer of the "Linebacker U" concept at Penn State
- Brian Schneider, former professional baseball player, Montreal Expos, New York Mets and Philadelphia Phillies
- Jennifer Storm, author of Blackout Girl: Growing Up and Drying Out in America and Leave the Light On
- Walt Zirinsky, American football player
- Official Northampton Area High School Web Site Page.
- Northampton Area High School athletics schedule and scores at HighSchoolSports.net.
- Northampton Area High School Page at Lehigh Valley Conference Official Web Site.