|Motto||Unus Ad Unum Doctrina Per Experientiam|
Motto in English
|One-to-One Education By Experience|
|President||George A. Burnett|
|Colors||Blue & Gold|
Northcentral University is an online, non-profit university established in 1996. It is a Doctoral Research University with its corporate headquarters in San Diego, California. It is currently part of the National University System.
Northcentral offers bachelor's, master's (MA, MBA, and MEd), specialist (EdS), and doctoral (PhD, PhDOL, DBA, and EdD) degrees in Business and Technology Management, Education, Marriage and Family Therapy, and Psychology.
Northcentral University was founded in 1996 by Donald Hecht. In 1978, Hecht had established California Southern University, formerly known as Southern California University for Professional Studies (SCUPS).
In 2003 the University received regional accreditation from The Higher Learning Commission. Four years later, the institution moved its headquarters to Prescott, Arizona. In that same year, the school received ACBSP accreditation. Shortly thereafter, on October 8, 2008, Northcentral announced the university was being purchased by Rockbridge Growth Equity, LLC. In 2018, the National University System announced plans to acquire Northcentral University, and this acquisition was completed in January 2019.
Northcentral University consists of five schools:
- School of Business (Degrees offered: BBA, MBA, MSOL, MSA, DBA, PhD; Post-Baccalaureate and Post-Master's certifications in Business)
- School of Technology (Degrees offered: MS and PhD)
- School of Education (Degrees offered: MAT, MEd, MS-ID, EdS, EdD, EdD-ID, PhD, PhD-ID; Post-Baccalaureate and Post-Master's certifications in Education)
- School of Health Sciences (Degrees offered: MHA, DHA)
- School of Social and Behavioral Sciences (Department of Psychology – Degrees offered: BA, MA, MS and PhD in Psychology; Post-Baccalaureate and Post-Master's certifications. Department of Marriage and Family Sciences – Degrees offered: MA, DMFT and PhD in Marriage and Family Therapy; Post-Baccalaureate and Post-Master's certifications)
Accreditation and certifications
Northcentral is regionally accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges; the institution was previously accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. The university's business school is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). The university's master's and PhD programs in Marriage & Family Therapy are accredited by the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
Northcentral University is also recognized as a Registered Education Provider (REP) at the Global Provider Enrollment Level by Project Management Institute and offers project management degrees at the bachelor, master, and doctoral levels.
- Ranked 148th out of 205 on U.S. News Best Online Programs ranking for its Bachelors Programs among National Universities in 2013 "U.S. News Best College Rankings".
In 2011 the US Department of Education determined Northcentral was one of 75 US institutions failing its 2009-2010 financial responsibility test (a measure of the institution's financial solvency), and would be required to post a letter of credit in order for students to receive federal financial aid. Northcentral also failed its 2010-2011, 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 financial responsibility tests, scoring zero for 2010-2011 on a scale of -1 to 3, lower than the 0.2 it earned the prior term; 0.2 for 2011-2012; and 0.2 again for 2012-2013. In 2015 the US Department of Education placed Northcentral on "HCM-Cash Monitoring 1" status because of its financial issues.
- Board of Trustees. Northcentral University. Retrieved July 14, 2017]
- "Our People". Northcentral University.
- Contact. Northcentral University; 2488 Historic Decatur Rd., Suite 100, San Diego, CA 92106 NCU. Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- "About NCU". Northcentral University. Retrieved 18 November 2018.
As a regionally accredited online university ....
- "Carnegie Foundation Classifications". carnegiefoundation.org. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- "National University System Purchases For-Profit University". Inside Higher Ed. Retrieved 2019-01-09.
- "Northcentral sinking rich roots into Prescott Valley - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona". prescottdailycourier.com. Archived from the original on 29 September 2011. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- Our History, Northcentral University website, accessed November 1, 2011
- "Institutional Change". ncahlc.org. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- "NCU News Release". Archived from the original on 2008-10-20. Retrieved 2008-10-09.
- "Nonprofit National University System makes moves to acquire for-profit institution". www.insidehighered.com. Retrieved 2019-01-09.
- "Directory of MFT Training Programs". American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy. 2017. Retrieved July 17, 2017.
- "Project Management Institute Continuing Certification Requirements System Search Activities". Project Management Institute. 2017. Retrieved July 17, 2017.
- "2013 Best College Rankings". Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- Degree-Granting Institutions With Low Financial-Responsibility Scores in 2009-10, Chronicle of Higher Education, October 12, 2011
- "Financial Responsibility Composite Scores". ed.gov. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- "Schools on HCM1 or HCM2 as of 3/1/2015". ed.gov. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- Official Northcentral University website
- Rockbridge Growth Equity, Northcentral's former parent company
- National University System, Northcentral's current owner