Northeast Georgia Council
|Northeast Georgia Council|
|Owner||Boy Scouts of America|
|Location||148 Boy Scout Trail, Pendergrass, GA 30567|
The Northeast Georgia Council, a local council of the Boy Scouts of America, provides scouting programs for 26 counties in northeastern Georgia, and serves more than 25,000 youth in Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, Varsity Scouting, Venturing, Exploring, and in-school Learning for Life.
The council has service centers is in Pendergrass and Lawrenceville, Georgia. The council is administratively divided into seven districts (not including the E-V district):
- Apalachee District serves northern Gwinnett County;
- Chattahoochee District serves Barrow, Hall, and Jackson counties;
- Cherokee district serves Hart, Elbert, Franklin, Madison, Clarke, Oglethorpe, Oconee, Morgan, and Greene counties;
- Currahee District serves Banks, Habersham, Rabun, Stephens, and White counties;
- Etowah District serves Forsyth, Dawson, and Lumpkin counties;
- Mountain District serves Gilmer, Fannin, Towns, and Union counties;
- Sweetwater District serves Walton and southern Gwinnett counties.
- Exploring-Venturing District offers the Venturing and Exploring programs in Gwinnett and Walton counties (as these are not discussed in their other districts' roundtables.)
Camp Rainey Mountain
Camp Rainey Mountain, founded in 1954, is a Boy Scout camp near Clayton, Georgia. Centered around Lake Toccoa, the camp contains 24 campsites with tents and Adirondacks. Just off of the Parade Field is the H. Randolph Holder Dining Hall, where scouts, scouters, and staff eat all of their meals during the week. The Trading Post is a hotspot for campers, dealing in everything from T-shirts to coffee mugs to pocket knives, as well as housing the Snack Shack, where hungry campers can pick up candies, sodas, and ice cream. Right on the shore of Lake Toccoa, The Stewart Amphitheater holds 3 campfires each week. The Amphitheater is made entirely of granite from Elberton, GA. On the north end of camp, the Big Rock trail guides hikers to a granite outcrop on the side of Rainey Mountain itself, providing a beautiful view of the camp and the Blue Ridge Mountains around. Summer camp runs for 7 weeks, starting in early June and running until late July, but the camp is available for Scout Troops to enjoy year round. The Mowogo Lodge of the Order of the Arrow is based from Camp Rainey Mountain.
The main activity during camp is the merit badge classes. Class periods are 50 minutes long, but many classes run for two or three periods. There are currently 43 different merit badge classes offered, many of which provide the opportunity to earn multiple merit badges. In addition to merit badge classes, Camp Rainey Mountain provides many classes that focus on other areas of scouting. A program called TNT (The New Trail) is offered, which provides newer scouts with an opportunity to focus on rank advancement in a structured, group setting. The Waterfront offers the BSA Lifeguard course, which certifies older scouts and adult leaders to be lifeguards, allowing safer year-round aquatics activities for their troops. High Adventure classes are available as well, including C.O.P.E, Climbing merit badge, and many off-property opportunities like Whitewater KR. A program called Gold Rush focuses on a pioneering lifestyle, and Scouts spend the week living as if it were the 1820s, sleeping in large cabins, cooking meals over an open fire, and learning skills of the era such as blacksmithing and candlemaking.
- "Boy Scouts of America, Northeast Georgia Council: Apalachee District". Apalachee District. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- "Chattahoochee District, Northeast Georgia Council". Chattahoochee District. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- "Cherokee District, Northeast Georgia Council". Cherokee District. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- "Currahee District, Northeast Georgia Council". Northeast Georgia Council. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- "Etowah District, Northeast Georgia Council". Northeast Georgia Council. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- "Mountain District, Northeast Georgia Council". Northeast Georgia Council. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- "Sweetwater District, Northeast Georgia Council". Northeast Georgia Council. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- "Rainey Mountain". Northeast Georgia Council. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- "Scoutland". Northeast Georgia Council. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- "Rotary". Northeast Georgia Council. Retrieved 2016-08-13.