Northeast Georgia Council
|Northeast Georgia Council|
|Owner||Boy Scouts of America|
|Location||148 Boy Scout Trail, Pendergrass, GA 30567|
The Northeast Georgia Council, a local council of the Boy Scouts of America, provides scouting programs for 26 counties in northeastern Georgia, and serves more than 25,000 youth in Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, Varsity Scouting, Venturing, Exploring, and in-school Learning for Life.
The council has service centers is in Pendergrass and Lawrenceville, Georgia. The council is administratively divided into seven districts:
- Apalachee District serves northern Gwinnett County;
- Chattahoochee District serves Barrow, Hall, and Jackson counties;
- Cherokee district serves Hart, Elbert, Franklin, Madison, Clarke, Oglethorpe, Oconee, Morgan, and Greene counties;
- Currahee District serves Banks, Habersham, Rabun, Stephens, and White counties;
- Etowah District serves Forsyth, Dawson, and Lumpkin counties;
- Mountain District serves Gilmer, Fannin, Towns, and Union counties;
- Sweetwater District serves Walton and southern Gwinnett counties.
Camp Rainey Mountain
Camp Rainey Mountain is a Boy Scout camp near Clayton, Georgia. It has 24 campsites, and is owned by the Northeast Georgia Council. The camp is centered around Lake Toccoa, and has a large dining hall, trading post, and a stone amphitheater. There is also a trail leading to Big Rock, a granite cliff used for rappelling. Summer camps are offered from June to August, but the area is available for Scouts to camp all year round. The Mowogo Lodge of the Order of the Arrow is based from Rainey Mountain.
Typically, the camp runs for eight weeks out of the summer, with one week as Staff Week when staff members are trained and camp is prepared, and seven weeks for campers (occasionally, the camp will run for a ninth week for campers). Service around the camp is provided by the Mowogo Lodge.
The main activity during camp is the merit badge classes. Classes are typically one hour long, but many classes must cover more material and may take two or three hours. There are currently 43 different merit badge class (two of which cover two merit badges). Rather than focusing on traditional merit badges, Camp Rainey Mountain also offers some lesser-known merit badges, including many science, technology, and culture related badges. Also, a program called TNT (The New Trail) is also offered. This program focuses on rank advancement (Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class) rather than a specific merit badge. There is also a swimming class that focuses on the swimming merit badge, and a class to train and certify lifeguards with the BSA. High Adventure Classes are available as well; some of which are hosted week-long by North East Georgia's other camp Scoutland. A newer Program called Gold Rush is Held at Camp Rainey Mountain. Gold Rush Focuses on a more pioneering type lifestyle, and Scouts spend the week (Excluding Sunday and the Campfires) in Adirondack type cabins and eat meals from a huge cast iron skillet. There is an opportunity to blacksmith to learn knife throwing, tomahawk throwing, and more.
The staff hosts organized campfires every Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday nights at the stone amphitheater. Every Sunday night, the staff introduce themselves and put on skits for entertainment. Wednesday night hosts the Order of the Arrow campfire, in which many troops conduct skits for camp. Afterwards scouts of the Order of the Arrow give a short speech about the order and its meaning to scouts. On Friday nights, awards are given out by the staff to the exemplary scouts of the week, and troops give out staff awards. The Senior patrol leaders (SPLs) of the troops get together and vote on the "Staffer of the Week".
- "Boy Scouts of America, Northeast Georgia Council: Apalachee District". Apalachee District. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- "Chattahoochee District, Northeast Georgia Council". Chattahoochee District. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- "Cherokee District, Northeast Georgia Council". Cherokee District. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- "Currahee District, Northeast Georgia Council". Northeast Georgia Council. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- "Etowah District, Northeast Georgia Council". Northeast Georgia Council. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- "Mountain District, Northeast Georgia Council". Northeast Georgia Council. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- "Sweetwater District, Northeast Georgia Council". Northeast Georgia Council. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- "Rainey Mountain". Northeast Georgia Council. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- "Scoutland". Northeast Georgia Council. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- "Rotary". Northeast Georgia Council. Retrieved 2016-08-13.