Northern (Arctic) Federal University
|This article does not cite any sources. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Северный (Арктический) федеральный университет имени М. В. Ломоносова|
|Archangelsk State Technical University|
|Rector||Elena V. Kudryashova|
|Colours||Pantone 282, White, Pantone Process Cyan|
Northern (Arctic) Federal University named after M.V. Lomonosov (Russian: Северный (Арктический) Федеральный университет имени М. В. Ломоносова), or NArFU for short, is a Federal University established in Arkhangelsk pursuant to Russian Federation President Dmitry Medvedev’s Decree dd. 8 June 2010 on the basis of Arkhangelsk State Technical University (ASTU).
History of establishment
NArFU was set up on the basis of Arkhangelsk State Technical University (ASTU). The Rector of the University is Elena V. Kudryashova, professor, PhD. On 12 July 2011, the University was restructured through merger with state-owned high and vocational schools – M.V. Lomonosov Pomor State University, Emperor Peter I Forestry Engineering College in Arkhangelsk, Severodvinsk Technical College – and renamed into M.V. Lomonosov Northern (Arctic) Federal University. The university bears the name of the 18th century polymath Mikhail Lomonosov, born in the Arkhangelsk region.
NArFU incorporates 17 institutes
- Humanities Institute
- Institute of Mathematics, Information and Space Technologies
- Institute of Natural Sciences and Biomedicine
- Institute of Oil and Gas
- Institute of Pedagogics, Psychology and Social Work
- Institute of Professional Development and Retraining
- Institute of Social-Humanitarian and Political Sciences
- Institute of Construction and Architecture
- Institute of Theoretical and Applied Chemistry
- Institute of Management and Regional Studies
- Institute of Physical Education, Sport and Health
- Institute of Philology and Cross-Cultural Communication
- Institute of Economics
- Institute of Energy and Transport
- Forestry Engineering Institute
- Institute of Law
- Institute of Shipbuilding and Maritime Arctic Engineering (former Sevmashvtuz (Sevmash Technical College))
- The University Colleges include College of Telecommunications and Information Technologies
- Severodvinsk Technical College
- Emperor Peter I Forestry Engineering College in Arkhangelsk.
The University's academic year is divided into two semesters. The first semester normally runs from September to December, the second – from February to June, with breaks in the early January for Christmas holidays and summer holiday running throughout July and August.
Branches and other institutions
NArFU branches are located in Severodvinsk and Koryazhma. Two more are to be opened in Kotlas and Nenets Autonomous District. Among the University’s infrastructural elements are several technology centers – Shared-Use Equipment Center "Arktika", Innovative Technological Center "Arctic Oil and Gas Laboratory Research", Arctic Remote Sensing Center, Forest Monitoring Center. The University plans to open the Innovative Technological Center "Modern Technologies to Process Northern Bioresources" and the patents and intellectual property protection office.
|This Russian university, college or other education institution article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|