Northern Buckeye Conference
The Northern Buckeye Conference (NBC) is an OHSAA high school athletic conference that began athletic competition in 2011 with 8 high schools from Northwest Ohio's Ottawa and Wood counties as members.
|School||Nickname||Location||Division:Region||Colors||Type||Middle school(s)||Joined League|
|Eastwood||Eagles||Pemberville||5:16||Red, White, Columbia Blue
|Elmwood||Royals||Bloomdale||6:20||Royal Blue, White
||Public||John C. Roberts MS||2011|
|Lake||Flyers||Millbury||5:16||Navy Blue, White, Columbia Blue
|Otsego||Knights||Tontogany||5:16||Black, Orange, White
The NBC officially formed on July 1, 2011 and began its inaugural season in the fall of 2011. The idea for the league was born in the spring of 2009 when the Suburban Lakes League was unable to gather enough votes amongst member schools to make former Northern Lakes League member Rossford its eighth member as a replacement for Lakota. The SLL principals created a plan for a 12-team, 2-division league upon the request of Eastwood's superintendent, and voted 6-0-1 to begin contacting schools to invite them into this league. Shortly after, the idea for expansion was dropped when the seven members could not agree on which schools to approve extending membership to. Speculation on proposed members was pointed at Rossford, Fostoria, Maumee, Northwood, Ottawa Hills, Cardinal Stritch, and Danbury.
Ultimately, the five SLL schools that "voted" for Rossford's inclusion held a superintendent's meeting without Gibsonburg and Elmwood to discuss creating a new league. In this meeting, Eastwood, Genoa, Lake, Otsego and Woodmore decide to withdraw from the Suburban Lakes League in order to create a new league with Rossford called the Northern Buckeye Conference. Former NLL commissioner and Northview High School athletic director Larry Jones was named league commissioner, which became effective on August 1, 2009. Plans to add two more schools to the league became a priority shortly after. Elmwood, Fostoria, and Maumee confirmed receiving verbal invitations to apply for NBC membership, and on August 5, 2009, Commissioner Jones announced that only Elmwood and Fostoria had formally applied prior to the July 31 deadline. Maumee's school board voted on August 3, 2009 to remain in the NLL. The NBC voted to invite both Elmwood and Fostoria on August 12, to which Fostoria quickly accepted on August 17 and Elmwood on September 9, after they were denied admission into the Midland Athletic League.
Since the league has Northern Lakes League commissioner Larry Morrison as a consultant, and five of the schools had prior membership with the NLL, the NBC set up their league bylaws and constitution similar to the NLL's. This also includes a "majority rules" clause for votes, which is different from the SLL's that called for a 75% vote.
Commissioner Jones stepped down at the end of May 2013 and handed the reigns over to Dave Bringman.
In August 2020, Elmwood announced they had received a formal invitation from the Blanchard Valley Conference and was seriously looking at the opportunity. However, no immediate plans were announced to leave the Northern Buckeye Conference.
|School Year||Football||Soccer||Cross Country||Golf||Basketball||Wrestling||Baseball||Track & Field|
|2015-16||Lake||Eastwood||Otsego||Rossford||Elmwood, Rossford||Genoa||Eastwood, Elmwood, Lake||Eastwood|
|School Year||Volleyball||Soccer||Cross Country||Golf||Basketball||Softball||Track & Field|
|2018-19||Fostoria||Lake||Woodmore||Otsego||Eastwood, Elmwood, Lake||Eastwood||Eastwood|
Individual State Champions
- Erik Fertig, Eastwood, Discus, 2019
- Katelyn Meyer, Eastwood, High Jump, 2018
- Erik Fertig, Eastwood, Discus, 2018
- Regan Clay, Rossford, 400m, 2016
- Regan Clay, Rossford, 400m, 2015
- Cole Gorski, Otsego, Pole Vault, 2014
- Jay Nino, Genoa, Wrestling (220 lb.), 2014
- Held, Chayse (June 9, 2009). "Five SLL schools, Rossford plan new league". Bowling Green Sentinel-Tribune. Retrieved May 15, 2011.
- "Suburban Lakes League says no to Bulldogs' bid". Toledo Blade. June 3, 2008. Retrieved January 12, 2014.
- Junga, Steve (March 25, 2009). "SLL plans 12-team, 2-division alignment". Toledo Blade. Retrieved January 12, 2014.
- Junga, Steve (May 22, 2009). "5 from SLL join Rossford for new league". Toledo Blade. Retrieved September 9, 2010.
- Junga, Steve (May 22, 2009). "5 from SLL join Rossford for new league". Toledo Blade. Retrieved January 12, 2014.
- Junga, Steve (July 19, 2010). "New frontier ahead for area leagues". Toledo Blade. Retrieved September 10, 2010.
- "Fostoria votes to join NBC". Toledo Blade. August 18, 2009. Retrieved January 12, 2014.
- Held, Chayse (September 9, 2009). "Elmwood to join Northern Buckeye Conference". Bowling Green Sentinel-Tribune. Retrieved May 15, 2011.
- Hanneman, Dave (August 18, 2020). "BVC Tenders Invitation to Elmwood". The Courier (Findlay). Retrieved September 28, 2020.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20111219155340/http://www.northernbuckeyeconference.net/sports/sports.html. Archived from the original on December 19, 2011. Retrieved October 23, 2011. Missing or empty
- Junga, Steve (June 7, 2014). "Otsego's Cole Gorski vaults to win". Toledo Blade.
- Emmons, Donald (March 6, 2014). "Genoa's Nino collects Ohio title and record". Toledo Blade.
- Northern Buckeye Conference Official Site
- 5 from SLL join Rossford for new league
- Five SLL schools, Rossford plan new league
- Napoleon replaces Rossford in NLL
- Fostoria applies to join new league
- 2 schools apply to join NBC
- NBC gives invitation to Fostoria, Elmwood
- Fostoria votes to join NBC
- Elmwood to join Northern Buckeye Conference
- Realignment makes waves; 4 area conferences to have different looks. Toledo Blade, 27 Dec 2009