Northern Counties Paladin
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Northern Counties Paladin|
A Paladin body with the barrel-shaped front and quarterlights, on Volvo B10B chassis.
|Assembly||Wigan, United Kingdom|
|Body and chassis|
|Doors||1 or 2|
|Floor type||Step entrance|
|Capacity||27 to 45 seated|
|Length||8.5m to 12.0m|
The Northern Counties Paladin, also badged as the Plaxton Paladin towards the end of production, is a step-entrance single-decker bus body built by Northern Counties of Wigan, UK, between 1991 and 1998. The replacements for the Paladon are the Prestige and the Pointer as low-floor models for the Paladin LF.
The Paladin was built on several different chassis types:
- Volvo B10M
- Volvo B10B
- Volvo B6
- Dennis Dart
- Dennis Lance
- Dennis Falcon
- Scania L113
- DAF SB220
- Leyland Atlantean (rebodies)
Three different shapes of windscreen were fitted to Paladins. One was of gentle "barrel shaped" curvature, with deep quarterlights and an arched top. This was used throughout the production run, being fitted to both the earliest vehicles and to the last batches built. An upright "wrap-around" screen with an arched top was used on the majority of midi-sized Paladin bodies (on Dennis Dart and Volvo B6 chassis), whilst a double-curvature screen with an arched top was fitted to some Scania L113 and DAF SB220 full-sized vehicles.
A Paladin body with the upright "wrap-around" screen, on Dennis Dart chassis.
A Paladin body with the double-curvature screen, on Scania L113 chassis.
Some bodies built towards the end of production were given Plaxton body numbers, in which the Paladin was identified by the letter G.
- Martin, Jamie (28 January 2013). "Stagecoach 20990 R990XVM at Insch bus depot". Flickr. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- Law, John (15 Aug 2015). Oxfordshire Buses. Amberley Publishing Limited. ISBN 9781445646732. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- "Volvo B6 Northern-Counties Paladin". Flickr. 19 May 2011. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- "Dennis Dart Northern-Counties Paladin". Flickr. 26 February 2011. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- "Dennis Lance Northern Counties Paladin". Flickr. 1 July 2010. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- "Leicester City Bus - Dennis Falcon / Northern Counties Paladin - 623 (L623 XFP)". Flickr. 27 August 2012. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- "Scania L113 Northern Counties Paladin". Flickr. 2 October 2010. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- "509 - M846 RCP". Flickr. 15 February 2010. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- Busst, Edward J (20 July 1993). "Blackpool, UK - England - 20 July 1993". Busglobe. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- Media related to Northern Counties Paladin at Wikimedia Commons