Northern Lawn Tennis Club
The Northern Lawn Tennis Club or The Northern was established in 1881 in Old Trafford (then in Lancashire) and is a members-owned rackets and fitness club currently located in Didsbury, a suburb of Manchester. It is a member of the British Lawn Tennis Association. It has tennis facilities offering 22(&1/2) tennis courts: three indoor courts, nine grass courts, three clay courts, 6 synthetic tiger turf, an indoor half wall and a junior court. It also has large squash facilities: six courts in total and is an affiliated member of England Squash & Racketball. Over the years it has hosted many international tournaments including the Manchester Open, which started in 1881 as the Northern Lawn Tennis Championships, and the current Manchester Trophy which is part of the ATP Challenger Tour. The club has hosted many players including Ken Rosewall, Maureen Connolly, Pete Sampras and Martina Navratilova.
There is also a gym on site with fitness classes and a bar and restaurant area.
- "England Squash and Racket Association". Retrieved 20 September 2011.
- "RESULTS PLUS". The New York Times. 24 June 1990. Retrieved 21 September 2011.
- Robertson, Max (1974). The Encyclopedia of Tennis. London: Allen & Unwin. pp. 294–295. ISBN 9780047960420.
- Kahawar, Adheel (29 December 2007). "Aisam brings laurels for Pakistan in 2007". Daily Times Newspaper Pakistan. Retrieved 1 March 2012.
- Allaby, David (1981). Wimbledon of the North: 100 Years at the Northern. Didsbury: E. J. Morten. ISBN 978-0859720472.
- Official website
- Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) – Northern Lawn Tennis Club
- Manchester City Council directory listing