Northern Liech State
Location of Northern Liech in South Sudan
|Number of Counties||4|
|• Governor||Joseph Monytuil|
|Population (2014 Estimate)|
Northern Liech is one of the 28 states of South Sudan. It is located in the Greater Upper Nile region and it borders Ruweng to the north, Western Bieh to the east, Southern Liech to the south, Tonj to the south, and Gogrial and Twic to the west.
On 2 October 2015, President Salva Kiir issued a decree establishing 28 states in place of the 10 constitutionally established states. The decree established the new states largely along ethnic lines. A number of opposition parties and civil society groups challenged the constitutionality of the decree. Kiir later resolved to take it to parliament for approval as a constitutional amendment. In November the South Sudanese parliament empowered President Kiir to create new states.
The state consists of 4 counties:
- "SPLA officer gunned down in Northern Liech state". Sudan Tribune. 3 April 2016. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Full list of Kiir's proposed new 28 states in S Sudan". Radio Tamazuj. 3 October 2015. Archived from the original on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Kiir and Makuei want 28 states in South Sudan". Radio Tamazuj. Archived from the original on 2015-12-08.
- "Kiir pressured into taking decree to parliament for approval". Radio Tamazuj. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04.
- "South Sudan's Kiir appoints governors of 28 new states". Sudan Tribune.
- "South Sudan's President appoints 28 Governors, defies peace agreement". South Sudan News Agency. 24 December 2015. Archived from the original on 2 February 2016.
|This South Sudan location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|