Northern Lights (1997 film)
|Based on||The 1988 stage play
by John Hoffman
|Directed by||Linda Yellen|
|Music by||Patrick Seymour|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||111 minutes|
|Original release||August 23, 1997|
Northern Lights is a 1997 television film based upon the 1988 stage play of the same name by John Hoffman. Directed by Linda Yellen, the film stars Diane Keaton, Maury Chaykin, Joseph Cross, and Kathleen York. It was produced for the Disney Channel and premiered on August 23, 1997. The film was not included in Disney Channel's 100 Original Movies celebration that aired from May–June 2016.
Because her character was depicted as a heavy smoker, actress Diane Keaton thought production of the film was an odd choice for the Disney Channel.
|This article needs an improved plot summary. (November 2015)|
Childless widow Roberta (Diane Keaton) receives news of the death of her estranged brother. Upon arriving in her hometown for her brother's funeral, Roberta receives an unexpected inheritance, her nine-year-old nephew Jack (Joseph Cross). Savvy and curious, Jack and Roberta struggle to find common ground.
- Diane Keaton as Roberta Blumstein
- Maury Chaykin as Ben Rubadue
- Joseph Cross as Jack
- Kathleen York as Daphne
- John Robert Hoffman as Joe Scarlotti
- Frank C. Turner as Willard
- Thomas Cavanagh as Frank
- Alexander Pollock as Billy
- David Paul Grove as Buck
- Crystal Verge as Aggie
- John R. Taylor as Arthur
- Sheila Patterson as Arlene
- Peter Wilds as Ratman
- Chilton Crane as Margaret
- Sheila Moore as Louise
- Leam Blackwood as Emily
- Zahf Paroo as Young Manager (as Zang Haju)
- Phillip Hazel as Sterling
|This section requires expansion. (March 2015)|
Awards & nominations
- Scott, Tony (August 25, 1997). "Review: 'Northern Lights'". Variety. Retrieved March 12, 2015.
- Heffley, Lynn (August 23, 1997). "Keaton Makes Cable Baby Film Worth It". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- Mink, Eric (August 22, 1997). "Diane Keaton Lights Up Dim Disney Film". New York Daily News. Retrieved March 12, 2015.
- Kelleher, Terry (August 25, 1997). "Picks and Pans Review: Northern Lights". People. Retrieved March 12, 2015.
- Joyner, Will (August 22, 1997). "A Boy Alone, and 2 Adults With a Lot to Learn". The New York Times. Retrieved March 12, 2015.
- Crook, John (August 17, 1997). "Keaton shines in 'Northern Lights'". Spartanburg Herald-Journal. Retrieved March 12, 2015.
- "The Rest Of The Disney Channel Original Movie Schedule Is Finally Here". BuzzFeed.
- "Keaton pushes the envelope in Disney TV film". Boca Raton News. August 17, 1997. Retrieved March 12, 2015.