Northern Lights (1997 film)
|Directed by||Linda Yellen|
|Based on||the 1988 stage play
by John Hoffman
|Music by||Patrick Seymour|
|Edited by||Jan Northrop|
|Distributed by||Disney Channel|
Northern Lights is a 1997 made for TV film based upon the 1988 stage play of the same name by John Hoffman for the Disney Channel. Directed by Linda Yellen, the film stars Diane Keaton, Maury Chaykin, Joseph Cross, and Kathleen York. It is known for being the first film produced under the network's Disney Channel Original Movie branding.     
Because her character was a depicted as a heavy smoker, actress Diane Keaton thought production of the film was an odd choice for the Disney Channel. 
Childless widow Roberta (Diane Keaton) receives news of the death of her estranged brother. Upon arriving in her hometown for her brother's funeral, Roberta receives an unexpected inheritance, her nine-year-old nephew Jack (Joseph Cross). Savvy and curious, Jack and Roberta struggle to find common ground.
- Diane Keaton as Roberta Blumstein
- Maury Chaykin as Ben Rubadue
- Joseph Cross as Jack
- Kathleen York as Daphne
- John Robert Hoffman as Joe Scarlotti
- Frank C. Turner as Willard
- Thomas Cavanagh as Frank
- Alexander Pollock as Billy
- David Paul Grove as Buck
- Crystal Verge as Aggie
- John R. Taylor as Arthur
- Sheila Patterson as Arlene
- Peter Wilds as Ratman
- Chilton Crane as Margaret
- Sheila Moore as Louise
- Leam Blackwood as Emily
- Zahf Paroo as Young Manager (as Zang Haju)
- Phillip Hazel as Sterling
|This section requires expansion. (March 2015)|
Awards & nominations
- Scott, Tony (25 August 1997). "Review: ‘Northern Lights’". Variety. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- Heffley, Lynn (23 August 1997). "Keaton Makes Cable Baby Film Worth It". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- Mink, Eric (22 August 1997). "Diane Keaton Lights Up Dim Disney Film". New York Daily News. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- Kelleher, Terry (25 August 1997). "Picks and Pans Review: Northern Lights". People. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- Joyner, Will (22 August 1997). "A Boy Alone, and 2 Adults With a Lot to Learn". The New York Times. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- Crook, John (17 August 1997). "Keaton shines in 'Northern Lights'". Spartanburg Herald-Journal. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- staff (17 August 1997). "Keaton pushes the envelope in Disney TV film". Boca Raton News. Retrieved 12 March 2015.