Northern Lights (cannabis)
|Part of a series on|
Northern Lights is a Cannabis indica-dominant strain. It's one of the most potent and highest yielding strains of Cannabis indica. A petite plant averaging between 4 and 5 feet, NL has dense, resin-rich flowers, but interestingly the leaves take on a more sativa (long & thinner) shape. The aroma is pungently sweet and the taste is a flavorful mixture of earth, sweet and spicy. Northern Lights’ fame extends to the harvest festivals where it claimed the overall High Times Cannabis Cup win in 1990, and the Cup’s award for the pure Indica category in 1988-89. Induces instant, powerful and long lasting body buzz with strong pain relief effects, as well as uplifted, creative euphoric cerebral high. 
- Early Pearl/Skunk #1 x Northern Lights #5/Haze - High Times Cannabis Cup (1989)
- Haze x Northern Lights #5 - High Times Cannabis Cup (1993)
- Northern Lights #5 - High Times Cannabis Cup (1990)
- Northern Lights #12 Skunk
- Northern Lights x Big Bud - A stable hybrid which exhibits the potency and high of original Northern lights with the heavy cropping genetics of the big bud, flowering in 8 weeks, 8.5 for a deeper couch lock, a single plant under 250w HPS sodium and a drip feed can produce well above 1 Gram / Watt (producer states 600g / M2) at 18%+ THC (CBD levels untested), grows 10-15% taller than the original NL.
Northern Lights, primarily an indica variety, is renowned for its ability to be cloned and grown very easily. The strain's reputation also comes from the fact that it has won competitions such as the Cannabis Cup. The #5 strain was first entered into competition in 1989 when several seeds were mailed from the U.S. to Amsterdam. The strain quickly dominated the Cannabis Cup, winning in 1989, 1998, and again in 2009.
Northern Lights has received much attention in the scientific community, as it is often the subject of experiments testing the viability of medicinal marijuana. The hybridization of Cannabis is also notable in the botany community as Northern Lights in particular has been studied for its female and male genetic characteristics.
- kgb. "Northern Lights Marijuana Strain". kindgreenbuds.com. Retrieved 2014-02-02.
- B. Smith. "Jack Herer Seeds - Cannnabis Cup winning strain". Weed-seeds.net. Retrieved 2012-01-31.
- Press: Cannabis the wonder drug?
- Microsoft Word - Lang_Carboni_pdf.doc
- Blackwell Synergy - Botan J Linn Soc, Volume 147 Issue 4 Page 387-397, April 2005 (Article Abstract)