Northern Mariana Islands House of Representatives
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2021)
In the 2007 election cycle, the CNMI House membership was increased from 18 to 20. Representatives serve two-year terms and are elected from seven election districts:
- District 1: Saipan (6 seats)
- District 2: Saipan (2 seats)
- District 3: Saipan & the Northern Islands (6 seats)
- District 4: Saipan (2 seats)
- District 5: Saipan (2 seats)
- District 6: Tinian (1 seat)
- District 7: Rota & Aguiguan (1 seat)
The Speaker of the Northern Mariana Islands House of Representatives is chosen by the House from among its members.
Composition of the House of Representatives
(Shading indicates majority/plurality)
|End of 18th Legislature||4||12||0||4||20||0|
|Begin 22nd Legislature||9||1||2||8||0||20||0|
|July 23, 2021||8||19||1|
|Latest voting share||47.4%||52.6%|
For the 22nd Legislature, Edmund Villagomez was elected Speaker, Blas Jonathan Attao was elected Vice Speaker, and Ralph Yumul was elected Floor Leader.
|Speaker of the House||Edmund Villagomez||Independent|
|Vice Speaker||Blas Jonathan Attao||Republican|
|Floor Leader||Ralph Yumul||Republican|
Members of the 22nd Legislature
In the 2020 general election, the Republican Party won nine seats, a resurgent Democratic Party won eight seats, and three seats were won by independents. Two of those independents, Edmund Joseph Sablan Villagomez and Donald Manalang Manglona, are aligned with the Democratic Party while Joseph Flores is aligned with the Republican Party. On July 23, 2021, the death of 3rd district representative Ivan A. Blanco created a vacancy, which will be filled in an October 16 special election.
|1 - Saipan||Roy Christopher Aldan Ada||Republican|
|Celina Roberto Babauta||Democratic|
|Joseph Arriola Flores||Independent|
|Joseph Leepan Tenorio Guerrero||Republican|
|Edwin Kenneth Propst||Democratic|
|2 - Saipan||Christina-Marie Elise Sablan||Democratic|
|John Paul Palacios Sablan||Republican|
|3 - Saipan||Blas Jonathan Attao||Republican|
|Edmund Joseph Sablan Villagomez||Independent|
|Ralph Naraja Yumul||Republican|
|Vicente Castro Camacho||Democratic|
|Denita Kaipat Yangetmai||Democratic|
|4 - Saipan||Sheila Therese Babauta||Democratic|
|Joel Castro Camacho||Republican|
|5 - Saipan||Leila Haveia Fleming Clark Staffler||Democratic|
|Richard Tudela Lizama||Democratic|
|6 - Tinian||Patrick Hofschneider San Nicolas||Republican|
|7 - Rota||Donald Mangloña||Independent|
Past composition of the House of Representatives
- N.M.I. Const. art. II, § 14(b).
- De La Torre, Ferdie (January 13, 2021). "Villagomez is new House speaker". Saipan Tribune. Retrieved January 13, 2021.
- De La Torre, Ferdie (December 17, 2020). "Majority in 22nd House a toss-up". Saipan Tribune. Retrieved January 3, 2021.
- Commonwealth Election Commission, "Proclamation - Special Election for the Third Election District (Precint 3)," August 19, 2021