Northern Region, Malawi
Northern Region in Malawi
|• Total||26,931 km2 (10,398 sq mi)|
|• Density||85/km2 (220/sq mi)|
The Northern Region is a region of Malawi. It had a population of 2,289,780 in 2018, and covers an area of 26,931 km², making it the smallest region both by population and area. Its capital city is Mzuzu. Starting in the north and going clockwise, the Northern Region borders on Tanzania, Lake Malawi, Malawi's Central Region, and Zambia.
Of the 28 districts in Malawi, six are located within the Northern Region.
Prominent townships and cities in the region include:
- Ekwendeni City (Mzimba District)
- Karonga City (Karonga District)
- Mzimba City (Mzimba District)
- Mzuzu City (which is also the capital city of Mzimba District)
- Rumphi City (Rumphi District)
- Nkhata Bay City (Nkhata Bay District)