Northern Spy Records
|Northern Spy Records|
|Genre||Avant-garde, noise rock, experimental jazz|
|Country of origin||U.S.|
|Location||Brooklyn, New York|
Northern Spy Records is a record label in Brooklyn, New York that specializes in avant-garde music, noise rock, and experimental jazz. The label was founded by Tom Abbs and Adam Downey in 2010 after working for ESP-Disk.
Northern Spy is an artist-run record label. In October 2011, Northern Spy produced the first annual Spy Music Festival, spanning two days and hosted by two venues. The festival was hailed as a celebration of the label's first birthday. A year later, the label threw its second festival, which took place over two weeks in venues throughout Brooklyn and Manhattan. NSPY artists continue to support local venues by bringing their devoted fans together in small DIY venues.
Northern Spy and its management has been featured in the press through interviews, blogs and in newspapers. The Village Voice wrote an extensive interview with Downey and Abbs in September 2011. In July 2011, East Village Radio named Northern Spy one of the four most important independent record labels in New York City.
- Aa (Big A Little a)
- Angels in America
- Arnold Dreyblatt & Megafaun
- Arto Lindsay
- Bird Names
- Charles Gayle
- Chicago Underground Duo
- Chris Forsyth
- Cloud Becomes Your Hand
- Colin L. Orchestra
- Colin Langenus
- Dan Melchior
- Diamond Terrifier
- Donovan Quinn
- Eleven Twenty-Nine
- Eugene Chadbourne
- Extra Life
- Foot Village
- Gary Lucas
- Gerald Cleaver's Black Host
- Haunted House
- Jenks Miller
- John Butcher
- Loren Connors and Suzanne Langille
- Marc Ribot's Ceramic Dog
- Mystical Weapons
- Rhys Chatham
- Seaven Teares
- Shilpa Ray
- The Home of Easy Credit
- The Necks
- The Spanish Donkey
- The USA Is a Monster
- Thurston Moore & Loren Connors
|2010||NS-002||Songbook Vol. 1||Old Time Relijun||7"|
|2010||NS-003||The Warrior||Jooklo Duo||7"|
|2011||NS-004||Outdoor Spell||Rhys Chatham||CD|
|2012||NS-019||Honky Tonk Medusa||Donovan Quinn||LP|
|2013||NS-034||Power Ballads||Seaven Teares||LP|
|2013||NS-036||The Only Way to Go Is Straight Through||Thurston Moore & Loren Connors||CD, LP|
|2013||NS-038||Your Turn||Marc Ribot's Ceramic Dog||CD, LP|
|2013||NS-039||Life in the Sugar Candle Mines||Black Host||CD|
|2014||NS-052||Locus||Chicago Underground Duo||LP|
|2014||NS-053||Who Sleeps, Only Dreams/Hide With Me||Deerhoof w/guest Marc Ribot||7", Ltd|
|2014||NS-054||Live at Le Poisson Rouge||J. Spaceman & Kid Millions||LP + 7"|
|2015||NS-066||Accidental Sky||White Out with Nels Cline||CD|
- Jesse Jarnow (September 28, 2011). "Northern-Spy Records Are The Realists - Page 1 - Music - New York". Village Voice. Retrieved December 4, 2011.
- "Northern Spy Records » Spotlight: Four NYC Independent Record Labels | East Village Radio". Northern-spy.com. July 5, 2011. Retrieved December 3, 2011.
- "Artists". Northern Spy Records. Retrieved 2014-05-08.
- Official site
- "Northern-Spy Records Are The Realists". Village Voice. Sep 2011.
- "Northern Spy Records: Do People Want to Be Challenged by Music?". Noisey. Jun 2012.