Northern Township, Beltrami County, Minnesota
|Northern Township, Minnesota|
|• Total||34.1 sq mi (88.2 km2)|
|• Land||26.7 sq mi (69.2 km2)|
|• Water||7.3 sq mi (19.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,355 ft (413 m)|
|• Density||174/sq mi (67.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0665153|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 34.1 square miles (88.2 km2), of which 26.7 square miles (69.2 km2) is land and 7.3 square miles (19.0 km2), or 21.55%, is water.
The north quarter of the city of Bemidji is within this township geographically but is a separate entity.
- Birchmont at
- Lavinia at
- Movil Lake Trailer Park at
- Northern Trailer Park at
- Secluded Acres at
- Woodland Park at
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Alice Lake
- Little Gnat Lake (west edge)
- Lake Bemidji (north three-quarters)
- Movil Lake (south quarter)
- Turtle Lake Township (north)
- Port Hope Township (northeast)
- Turtle River Township (east)
- Bemidji Township (south)
- Grant Valley Township (southwest)
- Eckles Township (west)
- Liberty Township (northwest)
The township contains Northern Cemetery.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,021 people, 1,469 households, and 1,123 families residing in the township. The population density was 146.1 people per square mile (56.4/km²). There were 1,691 housing units at an average density of 61.4/sq mi (23.7/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 91.89% White, 0.22% African American, 5.37% Native American, 0.72% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.22% from other races, and 1.54% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.80% of the population.
There were 1,469 households out of which 39.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.7% were married couples living together, 9.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.5% were non-families. 17.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.67 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the township the population was spread out with 30.1% under the age of 18, 8.6% from 18 to 24, 27.1% from 25 to 44, 24.3% from 45 to 64, and 9.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 102.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.7 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $44,535, and the median income for a family was $48,800. Males had a median income of $35,375 versus $21,884 for females. The per capita income for the township was $18,843. About 5.3% of families and 7.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.6% of those under age 18 and 2.0% of those age 65 or over.
- United States National Atlas
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Northern township, Beltrami County, Minnesota". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 15, 2014.
- Upham, Warren (1920). Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance. Minnesota Historical Society. p. 38.