|Industry||oil and gas industry|
|Boris Zimin (Director General)|
Northgas (Russian: Нортгаз) is a natural gas-producing company in Russia. It is a developer of the North-Urengoy (Severo-Urengoyskoye) gas field in the Yamalo-Nenets region. According to DeGolyer and MacNaughton, it controls a total reserves of 368 billion cubic metres of natural gas. All produced gas is acquired by Gazprom.
Northgas was founded in 1993 to develop the North-Urengoy field. The company was controlled by Gazprom through its subsidiary Urengoygazprom, which owned a 51% stake in Northgas. 44% of the company was owned by Bechtel Energy, while Tansley, an offshore company owned by the Russian businessman Farkhad Akhmedov had a stake of 5%. A license for the North-Urengoy field was transferred from Urengoygazprom to Northgas in 1994. In 1996, Bechtel sold its stake to Akhmedov-owned Farcot Group, which later also took over a stake owned by Transley. In 1999–2001, Farkhad Akhmedov gained full control over Northgas through the three emissions of additional shares and signing-off the existing share capital. Its ownership was transferred to the holding company REDI.
Northgas started natural gas production in 2001. However, due to a dispute with Gazprom, the access of produced gas to the gas transportation system of Russia was limited and the Northgas license of the North-Urengoy field was annulled. In 2005, the dispute was resolved by Gazprom acquiring a 51% stake in Northgas free of charge. Gazprom owns its stake through Urengoygazprom.
A new dispute between the Farkhad Akhmedov's holding company REDI and Gazprom arose in 2008 over a gas price and access to the gas transportation system.
In January 2011, a Russian power producer Inter RAO announced that it will acquire REDI, which holds 49% take in Northgas for US$1.5 billion. Inter RAO made similar offer to Gazprom to acquire a full control of the company.
- "Northgas in conflict with Gazprom over Urengoy and transit". ICIS Heren. 2008-08-01. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- "Ruhrgas sounds out possibilities with Russian independents". ICIS Heren. 2004-05-28. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- "Focus on Gazprom production". ICIS Heren. 2006-03-15. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- "Gazprom ends Northgas face off". Upstream Online. NHST Media Group. 2005-06-10. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- ФАС запросила у Газпрома информацию о консолидации Нортгаза [FAS has asked Gazprom about consolidation Northgas]. Rossiyskaya Gazeta (in Russian). 2005-08-01. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- Lyrchikova, Anastasia (2011-01-17). "Northgas stake seller sees $1.5 bln Inter RAO bid". Reuters. Retrieved 2011-02-19.