Cover to issue #1 of Northlanders (December 2007). Art by Massimo Carnevale.
|Publication date||February 2008 – April 2012|
|Number of issues||50|
|Sven the Returned||ISBN 1401219187|
|The Cross + the Hammer||ISBN 140122296X|
Northlanders is written by Brian Wood, illustrated by various artists on a per storyline basis, and with painted cover art by Massimo Carnevale. The first issue of the series was published on December 5, 2007.
On June 9, 2011, Brian Wood announced via Twitter that the series had been canceled by Vertigo. It ended on April 11, 2012, at issue #50.
Northlanders alternates long and short story arcs, each of which deals with a different protagonist in a different time period within the Viking Age.
The first story arc, "Sven the Returned," runs through issues 1-8 and is set in A.D. 980. It follows a self-exiled Viking warrior named Sven who has been serving in the Byzantine Varangian Guard, and is now returning to his birth region in the Orkney Islands in order to reclaim his rightful inheritance.
The third arc, "The Cross + The Hammer," runs through issues 11-16 and is set around Dublin, Ireland circa the Battle of Clontarf, which took place in A.D. 1014; it deals with the pursuit of an Irishman and his daughter who attacks the occupying Viking forces using guerrilla tactics.
The series is being collected into trade paperbacks:
|#||Title||ISBN||Release date||Collected material||Artists|
|1||Sven the Returned||ISBN 1-4012-1918-7||October, 2008||Northlanders #1-8, "Sven the Returned"||Davide Gianfelice|
|2||The Cross + the Hammer||ISBN 1-4012-2296-X||July, 2009||Northlanders #11-16, "The Cross + the Hammer"||Ryan Kelly|
|3||Blood in the Snow||ISBN 1-4012-2620-5||March, 2010||Northlanders #9-10, "Lindisfarne"
Northlanders #17, "The Viking Art of Single Combat"
Northlanders #18-19, "The Shield Maidens"
Northlanders #20, "Sven, The Immortal"
|Davide Gianfelice, Vasilis Lolos, Dean Ormston, Danijel Zezelj|
|4||The Plague Widow||ISBN 1-4012-2850-X||October, 2010||Northlanders #21-28, "The Plague Widow"||Leandro Fernández|
|5||Metal||ISBN 1-4012-3160-8||July, 2011||Northlanders #29, "The Sea Road"
Northlanders #30-34, "Metal",
Northlanders #35-36, "The Girl In The Ice"
|Fiona Staples, Riccardo Burchielli, Becky Cloonan|
|6||Thor's Daughter||ISBN 1-4012-3366-X||February, 2012||Northlanders #37-39, "The Siege of Paris"
Northlanders #40, "The Hunt"
Northlanders #41, "Thor's Daughter"
|Simon Gane, Matthew Woodson, Marion Churchland|
|7||The Icelandic Trilogy||ISBN 1-4012-3691-X||January, 2013||Northlanders #42-50, "The Icelandic Trilogy"||Paul Azaceta, Declan Shalvey, Danijel Zezelj|
- 2007: Nominated for the Eagle Award for "Favourite Comics Cover published during 2007" for cover of issue 1B by Adam Kubert
- Northlanders #1 at DC/Vertigo comics
- Northlanders on Brian Wood's website
- Viking Clash Pits Old Against New in Northlanders, Publisher Weekly, November 13, 2007
- Y1K PARANOIA: Brian Wood talks "Northlanders", Comic Book Resources, October 16, 2007
- Interview/Preview: Vertigo's Northlanders, IGN, October 22, 2007
- Ragnarok n’ Roll: An interview with Brian Wood, Comics Bulletin, November 20, 2007
- Brian Wood Talks Northlanders 2009, Comic Book Resources, January 27, 2009
- The Viking Chronicles: Brian Wood Talks Northlanders, Newsarama, June 24, 2009